Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art quilts? >

Art quilts?

Art quilts?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:52 PM

I just looked at Ricky Tims. Now those are art quilts and I can understand a high selling price. The ones on the other site are not that pretty and commanding that high a price for a quilt anyone can order I don't understand, no matter how well known they are. If I had that kind of money to pay for a quilt--or a painting for that matter--I would expect it to be one-of-a-kind.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by JudeWill
I just looked at Ricky Tims. Now those are art quilts and I can understand a high selling price. The ones on the other site are not that pretty and commanding that high a price for a quilt anyone can order I don't understand, no matter how well known they are. If I had that kind of money to pay for a quilt--or a painting for that matter--I would expect it to be one-of-a-kind.
I agree, that price they should be one of a kind. I looked at
some of them and I have to say I was not very impressed.
I've seen better and prettier work on this board. But on the
other hand more if they can get those kind of prices then more
power to them.

I did see one I liked but definitely not at that price.
Catlady
of
Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 PM

Some of the eclectic quilting and fiber art quilting are a bit outrageous to most quilters who are traditionalist. Many more of us are traditional quilters and enjoy it very much and our quilts are beautiful. Depending on the area of the country and how brave or determined a person is about their art will depend mainly on what they will eventually receive for their work. Most any of your family members will tell you that you are not charging enough for your quilts and truth be known you aren't, but we see all the little mistakes that we make and whether we realize it or not most of us are perfectionists. People who have lived art and loved artistic talents don't seem to have the problem asking for the prices because they realise that their work is one of a kind and it is art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To them they see the beauty in their art and are very confident in themselves.
I'm a realist and realize that most people in my neck of the woods can't afford the high end and so I know that if I want to sell my stuff then I have to realize the value of the dollar where I'm at. If I want more, then I have to go where the value is higher. I'm just now starting to realize that even the best quilters around have their bad day quilts, but the ones that they put out there for juries- shows also know that their quilts are the very best and worth the awards and the attached price. I personally liked quite a few of those quilts shown on that FunQuilts site and I have subscriptions to Quilt Arts Magazine and Cloth,Paper and Scissors Magazine, which are both fiber art and quilting mix. Sometimes the stuff on that web site will blow you away at the wow art and the price. People buy it. Art and beauty are in the eye of the beholder. Just hope the eyes have the pocket books to match. LOL Bethy
Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Ghostrider wrote: Why do you make such fun of those who have carved a place and established a name for themselves in this field? They have worked hard for their success and it is well deserved.[/quote]

Many quilters do not have the budget freedom to pay for quality art. If we had that money we probably would purchase fabric so that we could practice the quilting art we enjoy creating. Whether we ever sell it for what it may be worth is a different matter all together.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:21 AM

I think someone else mentioned this point earlier, and it bears repeating....

QUILTERS are not your target audience for something like this. Now, of course, some quilters do collect the work of other quilters, like I collect and hang the work of other photographers, even though I am a photographer myself...

A person without any sewing skill at all, but an appreciation (for this instance) a more modern approach, and with an income that can support it, these prices are, while out of reach for some, not bad!

Still, I do wish they had a bio or photos of themselves or something that identifies them as who they are.... Putting a face to a name, knowing who you are purchasing from,....I honestly never heard of them ---have to say I do NOT buy magazines or stay UP on things either, but can't recall their names...overall a poor marketing strategy!

(I have a small bio and photo on my website...Its an easy fix...)
Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 PM

I like the quilts,some more than others.I checked out Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr's web site. They are interesting people. They design quilts, design fabrics, write books and patterns and employ people with disabilities.I loved Weeks' blog. http://craftnectar.com/ I plan to add it to the ones I follow.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM

A quilt I saw in a store near Willamsburg, VA was priced at $1200. It was beautiful. Guess that was a bargain.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
Here is some expert advise from someone who sells almost everything she makes:
The key to selling quilts at higher prices:
You are not selling to quilters, don't waste your time trying to sell at quilt shows.
Start out small in your town - local gallaries, township buildings, banks, high school gallaries, public buildings, stuff like that, build up your portfolio. Teach in your local quilt shop. Lecture at guilds and sewing machine stores to their machine applique clubs.
Professional pictures only. 5 x 7 for a compact portfolio. Photoshop all backgrounds black. (Consistant)
Have all pictures in a JPEG on your computer in a seperate file, ready to email when needed.
Write a professional letter, wait 6 weeks, call, invite him/her to your house to view the quilts hung. Be energetic (difficult I know) Say yes to everything.
Gallaries don't want large pieces, most of them can't handle them, the biggest I ever put in a gallery is 60" x 60", anything bigger is a commission.
DON'T FORGET: They will want 25-50%of the take. so you will have to mark your work up.
Keep an excell list of the name, size, your price, %, selling price.
One last thing, most gallaries want something different, no country, no cutesy. Get on gallary mailing lists and go to the openings and talk about yourself, have your business cards in your pocket and a pen.
My retirement is made up of all the money I make quilt related.
I am doing pretty good so far. Stay positive and don't ask your friends or husbands what they think of your work. I find they don't say what I want to hear anyway and I get upset.
Look into yourself - you are the creative one, not them.
Ask for the higher price, they can always bargain you down to a price you are happy with.
Thanks for the great info Teresa 54. :D
I had never heard of them until I saw them on thequiltshow.com. With all the different sizes listed, they do seem like they're moving into mass-production. Good on them for getting the big $$$ tho' - I think that helps us all. :D
Old 02-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Seeing this makes me feel good about my work i have done and will do in the future, ive been back to thinking of how to market mine.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

Those are wild prices. Do you think they sell any?