Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ASked my DH for help, and well.... >

ASked my DH for help, and well....

ASked my DH for help, and well....

Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by chelgvns
I have a Brother LX3125 - basic model beginners sewing machine. I got it for Xmas last year so I could teach myself how to sew and I have unever done any maintwnce on it - I know shameful! Well I decided that I better do the basic cleaning and oiling and whatnot! Well I got nervouse and asked DH for help, and well... I guess I should have kept in mind that he's a grease monkey LOL! I am pretty sure he went overboard all my thread turns gray!!!! I have ran it with out threading. And ran it and ran it not helping ...well I finally got my thread to stop turning grey but the next issue is ....ever since he did whatever he did I can't get the tension on top and bottom thread right...occasinally the top thread snaps , the bobbin getts kinda crazY and know the tension wheel is grabbing my thread and keeping it...this last time it snapped it and it got all wound inside the machine. I'm a little frustrated and don't really want DH to help anymore....besides if I say something he may NEVER help me again! Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong!
you have too much oil dripping on the bobbin case...rather drop in or side load take a qtip and run in around where the bobbin fits in the case. the bobbin is probably just spinning :roll: I usually take a paper towel and actually wipe inside the case when I oil. try that and see what happens...
Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 AM

Most of the new computerized machines don't require the owner to do any oiling or lubricating, that may have caused the problems you are having....you may have to bring it to an authorized dealer and have them 'fix' what your husband did.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 AM

you might want to try replacing your needle, bobbin, and thread
hey want hurt and just might do the trick
Did he at all touch your tension
check to make sure its on the same mark as before if you remembered
better yet call or go online to brother sewing machines and let a tech help you if replacing all does not work
good luck to you in either way
I could not go on without my machines lol
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 AM

I have a Brother cs6000 and it is NEVER to be oiled. Did your users manual say to oil your machine? Not all machines need to be oiled.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Best thing is to learn how to do it yourself. It really isn't hard. However my DH will take it apart piece by piece, and it all will go back in the right oder and work. Long time quilter
Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 AM

Yup. Your (his) first mistake was not referring to the manual that came with your machine. I have two Brother sewing machines and manual for both says DO NOT USE OIL. If your machine is digital and not mechanical it needs little in the way of maintenance. Just be sure to keep the bobbin casing free of thread and fabric lint. I hope you can continue using your machine. I have had great luck with both mechanical and digital Brothers. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Don't give up on helpful hubby. Tell him your problem and let him help you fix it. I did this with by DH and he ran the manual and fixed it. He is always asking if my machine needs maintenance and he likes keepping it in "tip-top" shape.
That saves me lots of $$ so I buy more fabric. LOL
Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 AM

So glad that you and your DH talked and he was able to clean you baby up and get it purring along again. Sounds like he likes to help you even if he doesn't "get" the quilting/sewing part. The differences between us are what makes the world go around. DH and I have been married for 35+ years and it seems that we are synced very well. Where I am weak, he is strong, where he is weak, I am strong...just sort of compliment each other. Sweet!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 AM

Our House has a rule - I don't fix your cars and you don't walk into the same room as my machines
Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by chelgvns
Originally Posted by alikat110
letting your husband do the maintanance!!!
I know what can I say I'm a gluton for punishment!
get your manual out. wipe off places that you see too much oil. I don't think modern machines require oiling in more than one or two places. start with you top tension # in the middle of the #s. work a half # at a time until you get a good tension on the thread. rarely does the bottom need attention, but he may have messed with it. your manual will help you !
then learn to maintain it yourself--you are a modern woman !