Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
attaching quilt labels >

attaching quilt labels

attaching quilt labels

Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mbunny
Okay, I admit it, I've never labeled a quilt. But I'm going to start :) Obviously you can sew a label onto the back prior to quilting; does anyone sew labels onto the back (by hand) after the quilt is done?
that's the way I do it.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 AM

i have used fusable web..or misty fuse to hold mine on.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 AM

I use a permanent fabric pen and initial and date in the corner of the backing in real tiny letters.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 AM

I used to hand sew one on after I was finished with everything else. I've read a hint, maybe on here, to sew one edge on when you put the binding on. Then hand sew the other three edges on by hand. It's more secure that way. I usually use some of the fabric from the front as a border for the label. I guess I never thought of actually machine quilting thru the label itself, tho.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:56 AM

I hand sew my labels on with two sides under the binding after the rest is finished. I often use fabric printed photos and print out the wording on my computer so I prefer not to quilt through the label.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:59 AM

I use a decorative stitch around the edges as I sew the label to the back. The label is then secured even further once I start the quilting process. My great-grandmother taught me this technique and I have found it works nicely in keeping the label attached to the quilt especially if the quilt is laundered a lot.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:38 AM

I usually attach the label as the last step. However, many people have told me to attach the label so it can be quilted on. That way if someone steals your quilt, it's harder for them to get the label off and when they do, it's obvious there's something wrong from the front.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 AM

I like to hand sew them to the backing before I sandwich it. Then either I or the long armer will quilt through it with the machine to make it even more secure. I leave a space to write in the finishing date with a pigma pen when the whole thing is done. If you are ever going to ship a quilt or put it in a show (even a local one) this helps to show proof of ownership in case of a loss or theft. For anyone to remove the label, the quilt would have to be damaged. Somewhat of a deterrent.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Thats how I do mine too....I hand sew it to the back in the bottom right hand corner prior to quilting.. Just seems more secure to me. I either use a fabric from the front or I might match the backing fabric so that everything disappears except the writing.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:40 AM

I've heard a couple of nightmarish stories about labels being removed, replaced, etc., to "change" the creator of the quilt (I can't even imagine such deviousness!). For that reason, I also sign and date (very small) in permanent fabric pen directly onto the backing, right next to the label.

However, because that too can be covered, I also have a very small "signature" that I place on my quilts right on the front - very nearly in the same place on each one wherever I can place it where it will never be noticed unless one is looking for it.

Our creations indeed are works of art and all artists sign their work, some quite obviously. Advantage: It won't be covered on the front.