Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
attaching quilt labels >

attaching quilt labels

attaching quilt labels

Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM

I sew mine on after the quilt is finished. If the label is larger than about 3 x 4, I fuse it to the quilt first so it won't bubble up and then I stitch it on with a blind stitch.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

the label is the last thing I do. After quilting and binding, and before washing it.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:25 PM

someone already mentioned it, I think, but I stitch two sides of my label in when I sew the binding on, making sure to fold under the two unsewn edges. Then I go back and hand finish the other two edges. However, I don't like handwork very much, so figured out that I can make a triangular one with less handwork required by cutting a square of fabric and folding it on the diagonal to make a triangle. I sew the two raw edge sides into the seam when I sew on the binding, then have only one side - the diagonal one - to sew by hand.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Thank you all for the information. Penny
Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 PM

I hand embroider my labels in the lower right hand corner right on the quilt , either before or after quilting.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:58 AM

I make my labels with machine embroidery and attach them to the quilt backing (machine stitching) before I send the quilt to my longarm quilter.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 AM

Like some of the other quilters I sew mine in the corner before stitching the binding down on the back, then hand sew the other 2 sides down onto the quilt. I also heat set my perm. pen writing. May in Jersey
Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 AM

CONSIDER THE POSSIBILITIES!
By Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan
McCall’s Quilting Magazine, December 2005

You’ve finally finished that labor of love; the last stitch has been put into the binding, you’ve trimmed all the threads, your quilt is officially done. But not quite! Before you go any further with that quilt it is so important to label and document your work.
“Why?” you ask. With a little bit of luck, your quilt will long outlive you. When you are gone but your quilt remains in the family, proper labeling will ensure that your history lives on so that future generations can appreciate your hard work.
Additionally, quilts are sometimes lost or even stolen. As valuable property–with an ability to be warm and nurturing yet artful–quilts need to be protected. If your quilt that you have poured your heart and soul into is
ever misplaced, you’ll have a much better chance of getting it back if it is labeled and properly documented.

Start with the label, which can be a really fun way to complete your quilt. There are many types of commercially available labels, either selections that are printed on fabric or those that you print on your home computer. Some are already colored while others are black and white, allowing you to color the label to coordinate with the colors of your quilt. If you’d rather not use an additional piece of fabric for your label, consider stenciling or embroidering information on the back of your quilt.
There are a few things to be sure to include on your label. At a minimum, include your name and date of completion. Better yet, add your address, phone number, and possibly your email address. Finally, for a label to last the years, include the name of your quilt if it has one, the pattern, who it was made for and why, and care instructions.
Once the label is ready, you’ll want to attach it securely to your quilt. We recommend attaching it to the lower right back corner before quilting your quilt. This makes for a much more permanent application than attaching it after quilting.
Lastly, quilt documentation is an additional step you can take in preserving and protecting your well-made quilt. Fill out a documentation form (such as the one found at www.rmqm.org) and include a photograph and any other backup material, such as the story of why it was made, awards won, etc. Keep this information in a safe place or file it with a quilt documentation group. Check with your state guild for documentation preservation.
You’ve worked long and hard on that beautiful quilt and it would be a shame to see it lost or damaged. By taking a bit of time to label and document each quilt that you create, you’ll preserve not only your quilting legacy but the security of all your beautiful quilted artwork.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 AM

i put mine on before quilting that way i know it will stay there
Old 03-31-2010, 01:54 PM
som

i embroder them on with my embrodery machine looks very nice

som