Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters >

Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Thank you SO much for pointing this out! Yes, girl stuff is way more fun, but we're in it to help, so blue it is.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC View Post
Are there any patterns in particular -you can suggest -that is better to use for quilts or baby hats??
No not really, I just do what ever strikes my fancy that day
Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 AM

we make blankets and hat/scarve sets at xmas for the angel tree. I try to get the more boyish colors and most of the older boys really like the camo. browns and greens are a good combo too.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
When I dropped off some quilts and afghans at the Binky Patrol I asked the coordinator if there was a particular need that I might fill. She didn't hesitate an instant before answering "teen-age boys!" They are definately the forgotten ones. Since then that has been my focus. It takes more time and materials but well worth it.
I just wanted to add a heartfelt amen to this quote. My 14 year old son was adopted at the age of 4.5 from Vietnam. He was born with a set of four heart defects (Tetralogy of Fallot) and has had a total of five open heart surgeries to date. He TREASURES the quilts and afghan he has gotten each time he was in the hospital and was really disappointed when he didn't receive one last May when he had his aortic valve re-sected.

Don't think that a teen age boy will not appreciate the work and effort you put into a quilt, I know one young man who thinks the world of his.

THANK YOU from the bottom of my Mama's heart for the quilts and crocheted work you donate.

God Bless!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM

I think I will go through some of my stash that is down here and see what I can come up with for boys. I have a lot of plaids in brown, blue, red, and green that Walmart was selling in Williston a number of years ago. Had my dd pickup a number of bolts at a $1 yd. Haven't used much of them so there is quite a bit also have some brown camo. Will need to check as to where to send or take when done. Also have a dd in WY who is into quilting. Can send her some ready to sew fabric kits for them.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Shirting fabric is great for boy quilts. Our Goodwill has men's shirts for $4 - $6 depending on the condition. BUT every Monday from 2:00-closing clothing is half price! I bought 15 100% cotton striped XL shirts for $30, cut the seams out and then cut them into squares. Kaffe Fassett has a shirting baby quilt in one of his books. Love it.

Last edited by MissBarbQuilts; 01-24-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM

The same thing goes for quilts for the children's hospital. I make them longer (twin sized) and try to make them unisex as there are teenagers up to 18 (and in some up to 21) of both sexes at the children's hospitals. Some of them are pretty long. At 15, lots of girls even no longer want little teddy bears on their blankies.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM

This is a wonderful thread. It will make me more conscious of purchasing fabric for boys for donating. I am personally drawn to more feminine colors but did make quilts for grandsons recently and enjoyed the process. Reminds me that I should use up the leftover fabrics for more boy projects!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Boy Quilts

I use scrap materials that are donated... there is hardly ever anything I would consider boyish. So, to compensate, I make something scrappy, and then put on an applique or two.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM

great info thanks for bringing this to our attention