Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters >

Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the info. Our Project Linus group tries to make non-gender specific items and most of our donated items seem to be pretty balanced so I guess we're lucky. What we do find is that we don't receive enough of the larger blankets for our teenagers.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ellenmg View Post
I have to chuckle! I volunteered to do some NICU items from donated yarn. There was lovely navy blue cotton/cashmere, orange, peach colors. Unfortunately the blue runs. But I digress.. In speaking to three people at the hospital I got three very different requests. But the pervasive theme was: They need blue stuff. Boy stuff. Manly stuff. Apparently most dads do not want to see anything the least feminine. Blue and pink/peach/orange/yellow is not the same. I get it... So while the yarn that got donated was beautiful, I will be off to AC Moore for some blue and camo yarn. Yes, I live in an area with a lot of hunters.....Blue, blue and blue...
ANd I have to agree, strictly boy fabric is hard to find. I did do a project Linus quilt that was a panel piece, cartoonish dinosaurs pushing carts and playing in the water....Best I could find...
I really work at finding materials that are boyish and know how hard it is to find them. I try to balance my giving. At the same time, I try to avoid prints that are ads for commercial culture, such as Batman prints. I have 2 sons and found a huge problem making things for them.

Last edited by QM; 01-24-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 PM

That's very nice that you are putting the word out. In the mother-baby unit I work in, newborn's receive a knitted had after they've had their first bath. With the donations we receive, all newborns have a hat. Luckily our volunteers use all colors.

Our special care unit (NICU) accepts small quilts that are draped over isolettes for any newborn that requires special accommodations. They measure ~3' square. They're even grateful for a simple 4 square quilt.

Keep making any donations! Any donations you desire!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 PM

What a great post! Thanks for the reminder. I too find so much more available for girls...will just have to search harder.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM

I make most of my childrens quilts in flannel - there are alot more feminine patterns out there than masculine. I try and pick up and add to my stash anything that catches my eye for boys.

This is my first time posting - so I have much to learn about the site.

Last edited by sewingnoni; 01-24-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM

Our guild has had the same response from the agencies we contribute towards. Fortunately members really jumped in and this year we donated 980 quilts and wheelchair throws in equal parts male and female.

I have to agree, most of my stash is floral and I'm constantly on the lookout for bolds and neutrals in geometric, stripe, plaid, and dot patterns or animal and car/train/boat prints.

I figure if I'm a girl that likes blues mostly, there have to be other girls out there with the same tendency/ color palette so I'm trying to be good about producing mostly gender neutral items. Only trouble is, I have a lot of purple and pink, and florals in my stash, so I try to mix them up in a quilt that is mostly other colors.

Nice to hear about others with the same issue.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by coldquilter View Post
I have to tell you that I belong to a quilt group that does charity quilts for kids/babies and around Christmas we did 21 quilts for specific families in our local area and we found that we had a hard time as about 60 or 70 % were boys and when we really starting looking, it's hard to find boy fabric even at the quilt shops. Seems like most has flowers or pink or something to make it more girl friendly. We are trying to be more careful to select for boys but it's difficult. Glad to know that it's not just us.
So true. I like to make quilts for babies ot of the flannel printed with the little hand prints or foot prints. However, all these include pink and I do not think parents would like this fabric for a baby boy.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:52 PM

You know this is really amusing to me because I had to go out and buy girly fabric when I needed to do one for someone expecting a girl. I had all sorts of boy stuff because of DGS but no fleece or flannel that was pink or even the least bit girly. Even DD and DGD don't like pink!

You are correct, there's lots of little boy prints available, as well as camo/hunting type and sports oriented fabrics, but if the older kids/adult males like things like skateboarding, motorcycles other than Harley Davidson, even Nascar is hard to find, you are out of luck in the stores I've been to.

However I've found that guys in general can be quite pleased with plaids, bandana prints, and such. Good luck on doing the more 'manly' quilts!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM

You are so right. Our guild makes quilts for the NICU and they are always pleading for more boy things. I knit stocking caps for the newborns and they are all red and white (Nebraska) so are suitable for either but the dads especially LOVE them!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 PM

I go to church rummage sale , garage sales, Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. The last 2 have special Senior citizen prices on certain days, , and I purchase LOTS of 100% cotton men's plaid/checked/chambray shirts for very reasonable prices. Some are 2x,3x and they have lots of fabric that is great for boy of any age. Also, I have a tub of blue jeans that I have cut the usable parts out and they are usable, as well. They sell or are left over at rummage sales... and sometimes they just give them away...In fact, I have about 60 pair of jeans that I need to get rid of-will never get them all used, but were too good a bargain to pass up.