Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters >

Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
I just thought I would throw this out there for all of the donation quilters,knitters and crocheters out there.

I currently work as Night shift house nursing supervisior in a local hospital. I have been noticing when I make rounds in the mother baby unit at night all of the girl babies have cute little hats , quilts or afgans while the little boys have on the hospital stockinette caps they put on the babies when they are freshly born and not bathed yet. I finally asked why . The reply was that they hats and blankies are all donated and there are hardly ever enough boy things donated . One nurse even said that if it was gender neutral the item still had pink in it somewhere and these "country boy" dads would never let their baby boy wear pink lol.

The tech took me in the back and showed me the tubs where the donated items were kept. Sure enough there were at least 50 little girl hats and not one boy hat . and out of the 20 or so quilts and afagans there was one little boy one.

So my plea is that those of us who donate to these types of things make more boy items! I bet project linus has the same issue. My next day off I crocheted a little hat . the next night I went to work I took it in. Well just so happens that we had a car pull up to the ED and the baby was already out ! It is in the 20's here so I am happy to say the little guy had a warm and cute little hat to show off after his shocking arrival into the world
Are there any patterns in particular -you can suggest -that is better to use for quilts or baby hats??
Old 01-24-2012, 04:49 AM

It doesn't end at birth either. Our group does placemats for " Meals on Wheels" and we need manly ones for that too! Men don't mind flowers and such, but I'm sure, given the choice, they would rather not.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 AM

This is so true! I love to knit, crochet and quilt for a charity group. I also sometimes make dolls for a change of pace. When I do, I always try to make one boy doll for every girl doll. Little boys like dolls too, and it can be clad in male-oriented themes, such as bib overalls and straw hats, felt boots, etc. This was pointed out to me by a grandmother years ago, and it has stuck with me. I had two boys and they always loved the stuffed animals and rugged dolls I made for them!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 AM

Really funny y'all should mention this...I have 3 nieces pregnant....all having boys! Maybe it is just more boys are being born and that is why there is a shortage! Anyway I have found some really cute stuff so it is out there!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 AM

Camouflage is a great idea, Dayle!!!! I never thought of that for my Project Linus blankets. I hate pink so very seldom make anything in that color so most of mine are green/yellow combinations but I'll go get some camouflage today for hats and blankets.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 AM

Thank you for the reminder! My own family is predominately male and last year I decided I was not buying anymore "girl" fabric. Now I know that applies to my charity quilts too.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 AM

I do a number of youth quilts for a charity here in Michigan and have never found it a problem to do neutrals. I know I'd unconsciously choose fabric for little girls (because there weren't many choices of fabrics when mine was little), but when I pick fabrics, I pick one or two that are definitely boy or girl, and the rest are neutral. I think we think blue and pink too much. I use beige and white bases and toss in one other color -- like green, orange, yellow, brown, turquoise. Brown as a background can work with many colors to make a neutral quilt. Grey is also a great neutral. A bunch of light grey tones with a white center with a cute elephant will work for any child. Grey w/white and black w/white are two series of colors that are very popular now. With a little punch of color, neutrals or these new modern and geometric fabrics work great for the newest generation. Guess what I'm saying is, don't limit yourself as you design. Go for color, go for design, use the solids for accents -- let those creative juices run wild! The artist in you will love it! (as will the recipient)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Donation Quilts for Boys

Our quilt group makes and donates several dozen quilts each year to our local DHS foster care program for foster kids; quilts for the elderly; and quilts for our local Veteran's home and we make small quilts for our animal rescue shelter. We usually make pieced quilts that use up our scraps and are pretty much gender neutral??? We've also made lots of the flannel rag quilts that go together quick and are nice and warm and comfy. We use a 10" size block, a 1 inch seam allowance that is then snipped to make the neat fringe around each block. Ri8ght now we are making pillow case dresses for Africa and Haiti and I've been kind of bothered that we are making dresses but what about the little boys??? I've asked our coordinator to check out what we can do to fill the needs for the boys. Thanks for this thread. I've enjoyed reading every post and love that you all make and donate your work to the less priviledged. Isn't it great to be on the "giving" end...much better than being the one who NEEDS the help. Good Job, keep up your caring, generous work.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Red face Quilts for Boys...

Originally Posted by coldquilter View Post
I have to tell you that I belong to a quilt group that does charity quilts for kids/babies and around Christmas we did 21 quilts for specific families in our local area and we found that we had a hard time as about 60 or 70 % were boys and when we really starting looking, it's hard to find boy fabric even at the quilt shops. Seems like most has flowers or pink or something to make it more girl friendly. We are trying to be more careful to select for boys but it's difficult. Glad to know that it's not just us.
More simple block Quilts in shades of Green, browns, darker blues, stripes and plaids, greys and combo of colors. Hey there is always Tractor and Farm and hunting prints, leaf prints, mountains, pine trees, Fishing type prints... and patterns. Hey even a Quilt pattern that is spelled out on the Quilt face "Boy" "My Son" etc...
Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 AM

Using Darker Blues, Greens, tan, Cream, Golds and Browns, deeper Reds, Brick or variegated colors, knit or Crochet in stripes, Team colors... I know when My son's were little there were about 2 or 3 types of outfits and colors used and now there is a Rainbow of colors... basic Crayon Colors, Red, orange, green navy blues and combos...