Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Awkward financial situation >
  • Awkward financial situation

• Awkward financial situation

Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM
    Power Poster

Your friend obviously appreciates what goes into a quilt, including fabrics and your expertise. Your friend can indeed say that she got a bargain. Do not under appreciate your time and labor in making the quilt and pillows. Sometimes I'm surprised when making my own quilts how much the fabric alone costs, even when I've gotten a bargain.
    Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Lesson learned! At least you did the work for a friend, but now you know for future reference to get all the financial stuff straightend out before hand. I think this is why so many of us DON'T do quilts for money - because we RARELY get compensated adequately for our time.
    Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 AM

I still experience a sense of shock every time I tally up what the materials alone cost for making a quilt. And then when I add in having it LA quilted - well, let's just say good quilting is not easily a for profit art form. Not unless you are a sweatshop owner somewhere in China.
    Nancy don't feel awkward or bad for your friend. Since you didn't charge for your work, I'm assuming you made her the quilt out of love. She got an incredible bargain. I'm sure she realizes this by now. Maybe if you take her along sometime fabric shopping she will realize it even more.
    Can't wait to see your quilt when it comes back from being longarmed!
    Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM

I have a friend that goes to the thrift store everyday and if there is fabric she brings it to me, 90% of the time it's nothing I can use, she said to me once, you can make me a king size quilt for all this fabric, I told her to quit bringing it for I gave her a queen size one to use. There is NO WAY I'll make her a king size quilt
    Old 04-12-2013, 09:05 AM

I agree with Paper Princess. Because people who don't quilt don't have any idea how much all this stuff costs, and no concept of the amount of time it takes to put it all together, any quilt made by request, needs to involve the requesting person in the purchase of fabric and notions and a clear agreement about what your time is worth. Once it's all done, you can "gift" some portion of your labor if you choose but that way, they'll know what has happened. I should say here, that outright gifts for family don't fall into this category. Would take a lot of the shine off the gift if you did this--rather like leaving a price tag on something. But it does avoid surprises if someone is paying for part of it. Actually, I think we might all consider keeping better track of what our hobby costs. I know I should.
    Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM

I just have to comment on this! I have NEVER made a quilt for anyone who wanted me to do it for pay! (very awkwardly phrased). First, I don't have enough quilting experience. BUT I do realize the costs involved. Last year, over several months, I purchased a series of reds and whites for a very large Log Cabin quilt. Then, I ordered by dye-setter solution and spent MANY hours working on setting the dyes. I have over $350 in materials, not including thread, batting, backing or anything else. I have to say that I was very good at shopping for the materials I chose, so my costs weren't higher. For what it's worth, my husband was a very skilled cabinet maker, God rest his soul, and people never failed to be SHOCKED (totally) at the costs of materials, finishes, etc. We all have to be very careful if we're doing something for "hire"; otherwise we get totally shafted. Though not a highly experienced quilter, I have seen this happen over and over and over and over again! Protect yourself!

Jeanette Frantz
    Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM

You know something....You are a very good friend.
    Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 AM

What was the longarming cost? What about your time & Labor? Make sure you don't lose out on at least the longarm cost if you sent this out to be quilted.

Originally Posted by Nancyfarm
    My good friend asked me to make her a quilt, and specified it should be a work of art, focal point of the room, with several decorative pillows, and two standard pillow cases to go with it.
    I used Timeless Treasures peacock, the black and gold one. The quilt is spectacular, and I couldn't be happier with it. I did not pay full price for anything (I'm a good shopper) except for the longarming, of course. The price of just materials was way north of $700.
    I am horrified. My friend said she was surprised, but no problem. I feel so uncomfortable about this. I'll probably never make a quilt by request again. If I had to charge for labor, the quilt would be about $2000. What do you all think? Obviously my friend is awesome and I am lucky, but still..............
    Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM

I hope you charged for your time, too. Regardless of her being a friend, she should be willing to pay for your time as well as the cost of materials.
    Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Don't feel bad at all. It is art and if her heirs were to sell it, they could get way more than that for it. However in the future, I would probably discuss the cost first, so there would be no uncomfortable surprises.