Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock serenade question? >

Babylock serenade question?

Babylock serenade question?

Old 12-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Default Babylock serenade question?

I purchased a Babylock Serenade a few months ago "as is" and took it in to my local Babylock dealer to get serviced. The tension was having issues and kept breaking the thread. I was told by the technician that it needed a new hook (I gave the ok) and that they fixed the timing as part of servicing it. After getting the machine back, it became possessed. Not only was the dual feeder not doing its job, but was going backwards. I took it in again a day after working on it for 3 days and consulting babylock they have determined that the issue is the circuit board and would cost about $200.

Has anyone else had to replace the circuit board? Since I'm not the original owner, it's not covered under warranty. Babylock representatives told me that they can't help with the situation either. I did get a screaming hot deal on this and am on the fence about having to spent additional money to have the new circuit board installed at Babylock. I love babylock and have been happy with the 3 machines I own, but this 4th one has been a bit of a beast.

Thanks for your input!
Anna
Old 12-10-2017, 05:38 PM

Wouldn't a new board make the machine like new again? Do you like the machine? I'd probably go ahead and do the repair. You can always use it for a class machine.

Does that include labor? Will the dealer do the repair or does it have to go to BL direct?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:05 PM

I'm crossing my fingers that it will be working correctly. It does include shipping, part, and labor at Babylock's service center. The technician told me he didn't think it was worth it, but said they had plenty of new or trade-ins. This would cost me way more than if I paid for it to get the circuit board replaced, cost of machine, and new hook. Babylock would warranty the circuit board for a year.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:11 PM

I have a Serenade, bought new a few years ago, never had a problem. But it hasn't been used alot. lately I've been using my backup Pfaff on the dining room table for convenience since I can fit two other machines on the same table, one for embroidery, another for quilting. But Rhonda, the Serenade is not a machine you'd want to take to a class. It's very large and heavy.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 AM

Amy thoughts - since you say you got a screaming good deal on this machine and you have other BLs and love them, there should be your answer...I think the dealer who said not worth it and offered a "trade-up" is just looking to make a sale/commission. I guess my only hesitation might be the company warranty for only a year......may be industry wide, have never had that happen to me, so cannot compare.....
whatever your decision-good luck
Old 12-12-2017, 05:22 AM

I feel your pain...but with a Janome. Accidently knocked mine off a quilting frame and broke it all to heck. It's been in the repair shop since late October waiting for a new "drive shaft"that should arrive sometime this week, and then a week to repair it and for maybe $400 I might get it back by Christmas. I'm sorry you are going through this!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:23 AM

I am looking at buying a BL Serenade. But I'm having issues with finding feet, accessories and bobbins for it. I have read a lot of good things about this machine. As a former owner of many Pfaff's, I love the built in dual feed as opposed to a detachable walking foot. I currently have a Janome 8900 and not liking it. Does anyone know where to buy accessories for the Serenade? On bobbins, I've read that Pfaff bobbins (9033-P) will work with it. Do not want to buy a machine that is limited because I can't have all the toys that go with it.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:10 PM

My Serenade came with lots of feet. Don't know what else you may want to buy. And it uses my Pfaff bobbins just fine.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:06 PM

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/se...renade&index=1
Has feet for the Serenade. I was able to get a good amount of them from my local babylock dealer.