Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back to school supplies for sewing

Back to school supplies for sewing

I love poking around in the back to school supplies. Lots of colorful notebooks, file folders, zipper pencil bags, magnetic locker storage things, stacking baskets, etc. anyone else shop the back to school area? What goodies did you buy to use in your sewing area?

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    i usually pick up glue and glue sticks
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Definitely the glue and glue sticks. Sometimes, I use those composition notebooks to take notes and save swatch samples in when I'm working on a big project. I use the sheet protectors to save patterns in. Then I keep them in binders categorized by technique. This way, they are ready and 'preserved' when I want them, and not lost somewhere, covered in coffee stains. White erasers can be used to rub away thread when unstitching too. I also use sharpies to mark the plastic sheets I use for applique or to darken patterns when I use a light box.
    ~Kala

Now why haven't I thought of the sheet protectors/binder for patterns?!? Duh!

Elmer's washable glue for a 15 cents a bottle!
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Power Poster
    My Walmart had Sharpie markers in a partition box for $1 each. They had about 20 different colours to choose from and I couldn't resist. I like to use them to disguise fabric flaws, thread that shows up where it shouldn't and I have even coloured in a small PP error.

I always buy pencil boxes - use them to hold bobbins, marking pencils, small hand projects, walking foot, etc. This year I found a metal pencil box with clasps. I use folders for block of the month instructions. I love back to school items.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Whatever I need at the time. DH and I also go back and grab about $30-50 worth of supplies for "SUPPLY OUR STUDENTS". If you know a teacher(s), you may want to grab some supplies and donate to the teachers since they end of having to purchase extra because so many of the students have no supplies that first day to start with. We've given the teachers gift cards so they can purchase what they need. If I give a gift card, it's usually generic that they can use anywhere.

I bought a shower caddy to take my supplies up and down the stairs as needed and keep them corralled in the meantime. I sew upstairs, but quilt my quilts downstairs on my dining table. Sure cuts down on running back and forth ad clutter.

I buy school supplies and donate to two school for kids that can't afford them

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I always buy pencil boxes - use them to hold bobbins, marking pencils, small hand projects, walking foot, etc. This year I found a metal pencil box with clasps. I use folders for block of the month instructions. I love back to school items.
    I do the same thing. It's the perfect size for all the accessories for my machines.

Glue sticks, elmers school glue, sharpies

MDQuilter, you really sound organised, I envy you.

Lol! I have to actually PUT the patterns IN the sleeves...which I do about 37% of the time. But the theory is sound.
    ~Kala

Graph paper and colored pencils! Nothing beats drawing out a quilt design by hand at first. I love BTS!
    -Ashley
    "The biggest blessing is aggressive pressing"
    Mom to Max (Am. Cocker Spaniel) and Charlie (Orange Tabby)

I also stock up on the washable glue. Erasers, pencils, binders, whatever I see a use for. Much cheaper during this time of year.

I just picked up miniture binder clips. I use these to hand sew on my bindings.

Just about all of the above...the sheet protectors are great too..sometimes I use the Seal a Meal and to make 2 or 4 pockets for squares or rectangles of the same size..the top is already open and I just carefully slit below the center seam to open the bottom ones.

I bought Elmer's school glue, Elmer's glue sticks, washable markers, blunt nosed scissors and three reams of computer paper so I'm set for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
    I buy school supplies and donate to two school for kids that can't afford them
    reginalovesfabric, What a marvelous idea & so generous & kind of you.
    Dance like no one is watching

I buy crayons and color pencils to color paper-pieced patterns to better help me add the right material at the right time. Has saved me a lot of time with the seam ripper.

Blog Entries
    Great ideas for this time of the year.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    There are always items found in the back to school section that can be used for other purposes. I've found plastic boxes to hold different items, all kinds of other containers, mechanical pencils especially, pens, and the list goes on. I've even found items in the clearance aisle in drug stores that can be used for quilting.

I bought a Fisker's protractor and compass at WM for $4.00 and some sheet protectors for $1.00

I just stocked up on almost everything mentioned !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast