Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Background fabric by the bolt?

Background fabric by the bolt?

Do most of you buy background fabric by the bolt? And is it cheaper that way? Where do you order it from? What I'm finding is sold as yardage, and no discount is offered.

At my shop, we give 30% off if you buy the whole bolt. At JoAnn Fabrics you can buy the whole bolt for 40% to 60% off with a coupon -- online or in person. They sell Kona solids, which a lot of people buy for background.
    Annette in Utah

Blog Entries
    I buy Kona "Snow" by the bolt. I can get it at Hobby Lobby for 40 percent off with a coupon. Sometimes Hancocks of Paducah has it even cheaper. I check sale racks in every quilt shop I enter but seldom find a fabric I use as background on sale. I look for creams and off-whites.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Thank you! I have used Kona Snow, but didn't know they would let me use a coupon on the bolt rather than the yard.

On FB Quilters Market, Marylyn Jones sells 108" fabric at $8 a yard.... Also Judi Patterson = same...
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I buy solid black and solid white by the bolt as I use a lot of them.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

I don't buy by the bolt, as I don't have room for them. For donation quilts I have been using regular fabrics. I use to buy 4-6 yd.s
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'll buy some by the bolt if I find a great deal. My LQS has a "end of bolt" sale a couple times a year, and I take advantage of that. And right now the other fabric store in town (all types of fabric, not just quilting) is going out of business so I've bought several full bolts and lots of what was left on the bolt. I had about 10 fabrics picked out and told DH to take them to the counter. He asked how much I wanted, I told him "all of it" lol!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

our local textile factory sells it as does Marshalls..... I have bought bolts that i use for either sashing/background or backing in more neutral type colors/prints...

I don't always purchase by the bolt - that's a lot of money to cough up at one time Sometimes I go back a few times as I have money.

I have bought by the bolt before, and its not always cheaper everywhere. I happened upon a great Moda sale at G Street Fabrics and I was very happy. I got back there every once in awhile now that I know they exist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    I buy solid black and solid white by the bolt as I use a lot of them.
    Me too, I buy the Kona from Joanns with a coupon. It’s getting harder to catch them not on sale though, which you have to do to be able to use the coupon.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    About twice a year Nancy's Notions has a batik sale and I will often buy the bolt because the price is right.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Blog Entries
    Yes, white on white at JoAnn's with a 60% coupon, I think - anyway or was on super clearance
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    Interesting question Hilsmom...I would have never thought of buying a bolt but from the many responses I can see it would be a great idea for background fabric. Now I’m curious...about how many yards are on a bolt?
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

In the past I have bought bolts at yard sales -- $3.00 to $5.00 a bolt! Sometimes people don't know the value of stuff. I don't haggle, of course, I just get it quickly and run!

I know what I like and frequently use for background, so yes, I do buy the highest quality bleached muslin by the bolt I can get, often 108 inch. I get it from JoAnn's and wait until I have a 60% coupon. It lasts a long time and all of the scraps "match" for when I need sashing or smaller pieces for individual blocks. It is also so nice to just reach into my stash and have my background or or backing on hand and not have to go to shopping. It also prevents me from impulse shopping for other fabric.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    I know what I like and frequently use for background, so yes, I do buy the highest quality bleached muslin by the bolt I can get, often 108 inch. I get it from JoAnn's and wait until I have a 60% coupon. It lasts a long time and all of the scraps "match" for when I need sashing or smaller pieces for individual blocks. It is also so nice to just reach into my stash and have my background or or backing on hand and not have to go to shopping. It also prevents me from impulse shopping for other fabric.....
    I do the same and find that I actually like the muslin better than the Kona or Bella. The muslin does not shred. I'm finding a lot of "quality" quilt shop fabrics shred like crazy...not what I want at all.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Interesting question Hilsmom...I would have never thought of buying a bolt but from the many responses I can see it would be a great idea for background fabric. Now I’m curious...about how many yards are on a bolt?
    20 yards on those rectangular quilting fabric bolts, 40 yards on the roll (the longer, 108" fabrics like curtain fabric), usually

That's if you can get a full bolt. I rarely see a full, uncut bolt at JoAnns, but I do buy whatever is left on the bolt. Lots of charcoal-on-black for backgrounds, and Country Classic solids for backing and dyeing.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

Blog Entries
    I bought 100 yards of "neutrals" on eBay for 2.45 per yard, but I may not be remembering that correctly. It could have been 3.45 per yard and I did pay shipping. I got 20 different fabrics of 5 yards each. I got it about a year ago and I am surprised at how much I have used of that. Seems every project has a neutral in it. The seller was "franks11".

The local farbric store that is going out of business just posted they are up to 50% off on the quilting fabric now, so I plan on loading up on backing fabric. I've already bought two bolts of extra wide premium muslin, and may get another as I really like it.

I am going to be looking for fabric I can use as background and getting larger quantities. So much of my stash is 1-3 yard cuts and that is fine for piecing, but if I am doing a sampler quilt I rarely have enough for the background. So expanding that will be a big boost for me. And if at some point I decide I bought something that I just don't want to use on the front of a quilt, I can use it for the backing.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I also buy neutrals by the bolt at J's. The only thing I have noticed at my J's. You have to tell the person at the measuring table that you are using a coupon. So don't discount it by purchasing the "end of bolt". I have gotten to the cash register and my coupon doesn't work because of some discount put on it at the table. I turn right around, wait in line again and make them take it off. If you aren't aware it if, it can be costly in yardage. So tell the person at the cash register also and make certain your coupon takes.

Blog Entries
    Buying by the bolt is simply buying 8 or 10 yards (depending on the fabric). So, if you have a coupon for by the yard, it works on the whole thing. Joann's also sells the wider cottons fabric, both in solids and some prints. This rarely goes on sale (like Kona) but, if when you get a 60% coupon, it is an excellent stash purchase.

Blog Entries
    End of bolt (remnant) is 50% off. So if you are using a 40% coupon, the remnant is better and if you are using a 50%, it would be the same for that last less than yard piece. And your coupon is good for the all the other section of fabric. The only time it makes a difference is if you have a 60% coupon. Then I would tell them to keep it as one number and not enter the last bit as a remnant. They are just trying to give you a discount. Also, if there is a problem with your slip, you should not have to pull a number and wait in the cut line a second time. Just tell the cutter there is a problem and they should take you as the next person. If not, that is an employee issue (not a Joann company issue) and you should find a manager.

I have found kona spreads anyone else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast