Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing Problem >

Backing Problem

Backing Problem

Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 AM

I think he needs Dallas Cowboy sheets... and a beautiful quilt on top! Which side is he more excited about anyway?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 AM

If it isn't held together with quilting, the batting will shift and bunch when it's washed. I like the idea of making a muslin "false" backing, then putting the other backing over the top. That would probably work.

Another idea. Can you tie it instead of quilting it?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:58 AM

So many suggestions, thanks. To answer a few questions, he is 35 years old and this quilt is for watching the games on his 52 inch TV with the Dallas cowboys side showing and keeping warm while he is watching and at the same time showing his friends who all come over to watch, who his favorite team is and that his mom made it. I only see my loving son once a year sometimes not even that and wanted it to be what he wanted, not what I wanted. His wife said no cowboy sheets as it wouldnt look good on her wrought iron canapy bed. They both have things that are important to them I guess as long as they are happy.

So after i finish the top I will decide but i am leaning toward using muslin and quilting the front to bring out the stars and then adding the backing on and tacking it at strategic places and binding it and calling it a day.

So thanks all for the suggestions and help.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Using muslim as backing and quilting, that is also what I would do. Then I would use the fusing that is made for applique-no sew. It holds very well because you do not sew it. I have bought it at Michaels but maybe some of the fabric stores have something similar. I think the tacking would take away from the quilting you did on the one side. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Challenges are always fun! Sally :lol:
Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 AM

I would do the front with a muslim backing, quilt it, then attach the Dallas Cowboy print when adding the binding. I think that might work.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 PM

Isn't Dallas Cowboys the Star logo? Why not use that and quilt it in their colors.?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by janedennis
I am in the middle of a quilt for my ds and i am trying to make it the way he wants it. The top is blue denim with white stars and am putting white sashing around each block. The backing is dallas cowboy material and he wants it to be one piece with no sewing (or quilting) so that the full dallas cowboy designs shows on the back. The front he doesnt care if I quilt how can i do that and not quilt the backing?
Use a big star quilting pattern. I till look really cool on the back as well as the front. Thanks for sharing your great idea. I may make one for my son.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:40 PM

You'll need to tack it in a couple places, or it'll be more apt to wear out, rip or many other travesties.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 PM

quilt stars on it
Old 06-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Can you stitch the quilt sandwich with the muslin and then add the Cowboy fabric on top of the muslin with this stuff called stitch witchery? Its made to adhere 2 pieces of fabric together with heat from your iron. Maybe hand-stitch around the sports logo and then top stitch it all together, then use quilt binding so they all have the edges sewn together. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ