Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing of a Quilt >

Backing of a Quilt

Backing of a Quilt

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM

Years ago the quilt that won best of show in Padacuh had a pieced back that was almost as striking as the front. This was entered by a man, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. Holice might remember who he is. The theme was airplanes. The 1st time I saw this quilt I was thinking "Wow, what a great quilt!" Then I discovered that I was looking at the back. LOL It sounds like this was either this woman's personal opinion, or she had been told that by someone she considered to be an expert so she believed it with no question.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:09 AM

I had used fabric that I pieced together. Such as an American quilt I made for my DD. I had red,white, and blue. DH helped me so that the seams were even. I found wide backing and have since switched. Seems easier to work with
Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 AM

I think the back should coordinate colorwise in some form- no sheets or muslin, seaming is okay as long as it's done properly. I just hate to see a beautiful quilt top, then flip it over and the colors don't flow at all.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:47 AM

I like pieced back ..I make 2 tops and sandwich them.
If you don't like one side turn it over.
ssuzz
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM

I usually buy co-ordinating fabric for the back when I buy fabric for the front. I like the way it flows.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 AM

I love to use up the leftover fabrics from the top on the back. It's cost effective and just makes sense to me. I don't love saving leftover scraps that I probably won't use in another quilt project. I don't always make a design, but try to use similar sized pieces. Sometimes I have enough for the middle of the back and then I add a coordinating (almost solid) around the edges to make the back large enough for the top.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 AM

For me, back art is a way to keep from buying more fabric to make the back big enough. I never plan it in advance, but if my back is too small I will try to figure an attractive way to add blocks or strips left over from the front in order to make it large enough. I normally buy a little extra for piecing anyway, so this makes good use of it.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM

One time at a quilt show vender I found some pre-printed log cabin fabric and when I used it for the backing of my quilt it was striking and as pretty as the front. That was fun.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Why should the back be the poor sister? I love making them just as attractive, though simpler, than the front
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM

It depends on the use of the quilt for me. I use muslin for backs of wallhangings as they are not likely to be seen, and some colors of fabrics when in humid environments can leave a color tint to the wall if left there ong enough. (Yes, I have found some banners at churches that have done that, and especially when men think they can nail the banners directly on the wall!)
If I am giving a baby quilt, I usually use flannel in the same color family or theme as the front. i use backing fabrics of tone on tone prints alot for bigger quilts.
I think the back needs to be pretty also, but that can be scrappy or not.