Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backing >

backing

backing

Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Elsie
i doing one for the church and i usely use muslin but they want to put it on a raffle so that why i am asking
As a raffle quilt muslin probably isn't the best choice for increased ticket sales. Muslin often can look 'cost-cutting' in those circumstances, and it can take on a dingy look too soon after use.

As it appears you are doing nice, interesting piecing, I'd suggest you use a complimentary fabric in quilting weight cotton on the reverse. Add a label in a lower corner of the back, turn the corner over and pin it for viewing as the quilt is hung for raffling. This will show the backing fabric as an intended design part of the quilt.

Jan in VA
Old 09-26-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
i doing one for the church and i usely use muslin but they want to put it on a raffle so that why i am asking
As a raffle quilt muslin probably isn't the best choice for increased ticket sales. Muslin often can look 'cost-cutting' in those circumstances, and it can take on a dingy look too soon after use.

As it appears you are doing nice, interesting piecing, I'd suggest you use a complimentary fabric in quilting weight cotton on the reverse. Add a label in a lower corner of the back, turn the corner over and pin it for viewing as the quilt is hung for raffling. This will show the backing fabric as an intended design part of the quilt.

Jan in VA
thank you
Old 09-26-2010, 04:06 PM

I use mostly 100% cotton in a coordinating print. The print is very forgiving if the stitching is a bit "off."
I have used poly-cotton bed sheets of a high thread count but wash them several times first to get all the sizing out and soften them up.
I prefer the cotton.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM

If cost is a factor. I'd strongly suggest a patterned sheet. I use them all the time on my quilts and you often can get them in 100% cotton or cotton rich 60/40 or even 80/20 blends. Quite often a small local department store near my home has name brand sheets that are seconds for less than $10. I stock up when they are on sale and shop my sheet stash when I need a back. I try to buy King size or at least Queen size flats so I have plenty to work with. The other advantage of sheets is that there is no seam. They machine quilt beautifully and wash and wear well.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
If cost is a factor. I'd strongly suggest a patterned sheet. I use them all the time on my quilts and you often can get them in 100% cotton or cotton rich 60/40 or even 80/20 blends. Quite often a small local department store near my home has name brand sheets that are seconds for less than $10. I stock up when they are on sale and shop my sheet stash when I need a back. I try to buy King size or at least Queen size flats so I have plenty to work with. The other advantage of sheets is that there is no seam. They machine quilt beautifully and wash and wear well.
thank you i had people say not to use sheet but if they do up good it sound good to me i an going to tie off this quilt how good will the sheet do with tried off
Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM

thank you i had people say not to use sheet but if they do up good it sound good to me i an going to tie off this quilt how good will the sheet do with tried off
It does just fine with tie off, I have done them with no problem's :D
Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pickles
It does just fine with tie off, I have done them with no problem's :D
thank you i will try that