Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: backing

Blog Entries
    what kind of backing most of you,s use

Blog Entries
    Usually 100% cotton, but I have a couple to quilt with minkee.

You will get a lot of different answers on that one. There are many ways to back a quilt.

either 100% cotton or cotton flannel - have done a couple with fleece but I don't enjoy quilting it. In fact, I have one I did with fleece that I am unstitching because it bunched up awful and I just don't like it.

Blog Entries
    I have only used cotton backing either pieced from regular yardage or a wide back fabric.

I love your avatar picture, could you please tell me what that pattern is called and wher I might find it????

Blog Entries
    i doing one for the church and i usely use muslin but they want to put it on a raffle so that why i am asking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woody
    I have only used cotton backing either pieced from regular yardage or a wide back fabric.

I love your avatar picture, could you please tell me what that pattern is called and wher I might find it????
    i got it out of a book change it cause it had different colors and size of strips so i just try to do it with this colors and it working out http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52442-1.htm here is what i done hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie
    i doing one for the church and i usely use muslin but they want to put it on a raffle so that why i am asking
    I usually use a coordinating print and have had a lot of comments about how much nicer it is than a plain backing.

I use 100% cotton either pieced or full yardage. That is just my personal choice.

Sometimes I used a light blanket, so they are extra warm to use during winter.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    As a raffle quilt muslin probably isn't the best choice for increased ticket sales. Muslin often can look 'cost-cutting' in those circumstances, and it can take on a dingy look too soon after use.

As it appears you are doing nice, interesting piecing, I'd suggest you use a complimentary fabric in quilting weight cotton on the reverse. Add a label in a lower corner of the back, turn the corner over and pin it for viewing as the quilt is hung for raffling. This will show the backing fabric as an intended design part of the quilt.

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    As a raffle quilt muslin probably isn't the best choice for increased ticket sales. Muslin often can look 'cost-cutting' in those circumstances, and it can take on a dingy look too soon after use.

As it appears you are doing nice, interesting piecing, I'd suggest you use a complimentary fabric in quilting weight cotton on the reverse. Add a label in a lower corner of the back, turn the corner over and pin it for viewing as the quilt is hung for raffling. This will show the backing fabric as an intended design part of the quilt.

Jan in VA
    thank you

Blog Entries
    I use mostly 100% cotton in a coordinating print. The print is very forgiving if the stitching is a bit "off."
    I have used poly-cotton bed sheets of a high thread count but wash them several times first to get all the sizing out and soften them up.
    I prefer the cotton.

If cost is a factor. I'd strongly suggest a patterned sheet. I use them all the time on my quilts and you often can get them in 100% cotton or cotton rich 60/40 or even 80/20 blends. Quite often a small local department store near my home has name brand sheets that are seconds for less than $10. I stock up when they are on sale and shop my sheet stash when I need a back. I try to buy King size or at least Queen size flats so I have plenty to work with. The other advantage of sheets is that there is no seam. They machine quilt beautifully and wash and wear well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    If cost is a factor. I'd strongly suggest a patterned sheet. I use them all the time on my quilts and you often can get them in 100% cotton or cotton rich 60/40 or even 80/20 blends. Quite often a small local department store near my home has name brand sheets that are seconds for less than $10. I stock up when they are on sale and shop my sheet stash when I need a back. I try to buy King size or at least Queen size flats so I have plenty to work with. The other advantage of sheets is that there is no seam. They machine quilt beautifully and wash and wear well.
    thank you i had people say not to use sheet but if they do up good it sound good to me i an going to tie off this quilt how good will the sheet do with tried off

thank you i had people say not to use sheet but if they do up good it sound good to me i an going to tie off this quilt how good will the sheet do with tried off
    It does just fine with tie off, I have done them with no problem's :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    It does just fine with tie off, I have done them with no problem's :D
    thank you i will try that