Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bad quilt shop experiences >

Bad quilt shop experiences

Bad quilt shop experiences

Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 AM

Wow Marilyn...and that's how it should be!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM

I love to stop and look at new fabrics, patterns and gadgets. But I don't always buy something. I hate the sales staff who look down their noses at me because I am "JUST LOOKING". Some of them make me think I've turned into some kind of disgusting disease or something.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 AM

I think we must be spoiled in this neck of the woods. There are five QS in a 20 mile radius, and four of them are excellent. I worked at two of them and the staff in both were very friendly. We had regular staff meetings to discuss any problems we may have encountered, and ways to not repeat it. The owners at both shops absolutely demanded good, friendly service and that's why we had the meetings. It was very up-building and encouraging. We had a lot of fun and our customers were happy to come into the shop. We were all happy to work there and help the customers with their quilts.
One day, tho, a customer came in and was rude and demanding to me. I was helping another person and I told her (very nicely) that I'd be with her in just a couple of minutes. She started yelling at me and calling me names. I was completely stunned! I started crying, just knowing I was going to lose my job. One of management came out and tried to calm her down. She and the woman she was with both stormed out the door. Then the owner told me she always does that and not to worry, I hadn't done anything wrong, that the woman had a mental problem. Yikes! I prayed I'd never have to see her ever again!
Mostly shoppers are nice. Sometimes one would come in, obviously distressed about something. With ones we knew well we could ask about what was happening in their life, and maybe we'd hear about, and maybe not. But we were their if they needed to talk. Even the owners are compassionate and not too busy to chat with a customer. I'm proud to have been part of the action; now I'm retired. I go into both shops and the clerks I worked with are all gone, so the new ones don't know me. They are still nice and I'm sure the meetings are still being held to educate the staff about how to treat customers. I really miss working..........It was sooo much fun!
And there were lots of evenings we didn't close the shop on time cause we had customers still shopping.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by cjc
Here's one for you. I went with my sister-in-law to a quilt shop down the road from her house, about 3 hours from us. It's a shop that advertises in most quilt magazine and if I told you the name of it..alot of you would probably recognize it. Anyway, we did get to the shop late in the afternoon. About 4:30 and the shop closed at 5. They went behind us, shutting the lights out in the rooms as we left them, rushing us out. Needless to say, they didn't get any of my money.
I know exactly what shop in Marietta you are talking about!!! I have also found the owners and employees there to be off-putting. Like they are doing you a favor by waiting on you.

My daughter (who is 27 and married, but looks like she is about 17 and in high school---and who has an 18 month old and is 6 months pregnant) has been treated VERY badly in several quilt shops where she has shopped. The employees act like she is too young to know her way around a sewing machine and they ignore her or are rude to her. She even had one employee make several rude comments to her face and when my daughter tried to talk to the shop owner about it--the owner defended her employee!!! Needless to say, we don't shop there any more.

On the other hand----I work in a quilt shop. We welcome each customer with a smile as she (or he) comes through the door, offer assistance if needed and encourage them to stay and browse as long as they want-even if it is past closing time!!! I hope that no one has ever felt insulted, shunned or uncomfortable in our shop.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

My local quilt shop feels very clique-ish. Being young (and looking even younger) I basically get ignored when I go in there; I've walked in, and had an older woman behind me, and the store staff fall over themselves to help her, and ignore me. If it were just once, I wouldn't think anything of it, but it's happened multiple times. I'm not sure why I keep going there; it's overpriced, and the local discount store is much more affordable.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 AM

I'm glad to say that I can't think of a single time I've been in a LQS around here and had a bad experience. They all have that friendly, home-town feel that encourages you to look around, ask questions, and generally make yourself at home. Usually my wife and I go in together, but occasionally I go in by myself. I get the same treatment by myself, and most everyone remembers us and will ask where my better half is. We have wondered if we get special treatment because I'm a man and something of a curiosity in a LQS.

The shops I can think of are: Iva's and The Cherry Pit in Sevierville; Mountain Stitches in Gatlinburg; Cat Lover's, Sewing Machines Etc, Gina's Bernina, and Mamaw's Thimble in Knoxville; Sew Unique in Clinton; Rooster's in Alcoa; Lavender Lime in Chattanooga; Little Blessings in Crossville; and It's Sew Mary Jane in Halls. East/Middle TN has some great shops. I'm sorry if I left anybody out, but I firmly believe in naming names, especially if someone goes out of their way to offer exceptional service. I hope if anybody here vacations or travels through east or middle TN you'll give these shops a visit.

Darren
Old 01-16-2010, 10:21 AM

I like that quilt. The colors are great together! Nice job!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 AM

I have been very lucky at quilt stores. I have JoAnn fabrics close by which I do shop at, especially with discount coupons for notions, etc. But when choosing fabrics for special projects, I like to go to better fabric stores and see what is out there, the collections are endless. I travel far and wide - so far everyone has treated me nicely and taken the time to help me find fabrics to match, etc. no matter how much I purchase. There are times I would not want to wait on me, with all my questions and multiple bolts to cut, etc. I think if I were treated badly, I would not return and I would share the information with friends and family so they would not go there either. If you are nice and have wonderful fabrics I will spread the word to anyone that cares to listen.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Well, Customer Service must not be a term this person understood along with several other terms which express politeness, consideration, return business, etc. etc. However this kind of rudeness in not limited to quilt store owners. It seems that many aspects of life involve dealing with these kind of folks. I say they have rudeness to the 10th power and try to remember that they must be miserable.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 AM

I will not go into a quilt store that is closest to me anymore. I went one time and took my mentally and physically handicapped son. My son is very friendly and says "hi" to everyone. The people that worked there all asked what he wanted. I explained he was just saying "hi" and they turned their backs on him. He was hurt and I left without buying anything and won't even go back if I don't have him with me.