Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bad Sunbonnet Sue >

Bad Sunbonnet Sue

Bad Sunbonnet Sue

Old 04-02-2019, 05:55 AM

Poor Sue! Does she really enjoy this treatment. I have always liked Sue because of her sweet history.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:19 AM

This has been fun for me to hear the conversation. I'm not sure when I will start these but the next step for me is to figure out a block size, a basic Sue shape, and start putting fabric in a project kit. Of course I'll post pictures if I do! I see these as embellished with trims and some 3D elements and accessories whether embroidered, bought, or appliqued. Most of changes I'd be doing to the basic shape is trims and fabric choices, and the bonnets -- like a motorcycle helmet for Biker Sue, and maybe some backgrounds. I know I have some faux brown leather fabrics, I probably have a good black too. Since these will be modern Sues, I'm not planning on any visible/decorative applique stitches but I always have to have a vision backup plan, so if my "invisible" stitches aren't, well I might go for the blanket edge look.

If anyone else wants to make a block and post it, please join in! For those of you who have googled or seen previous ones you know this is not an exclusive idea or particularly original at this point. Sometimes the fun is just in making something different than what you usually do.

I'm pretty sure there will be Prison Sue, as an added joke her number will be 8675309 (Jenny Jenny from the song...). The fancy shmancy sewing machine my friend gave me can do numbers and such and this will be a good opportunity to use that feature, other than just the one stitch I usually use.

I like the idea of Fabric Hoarder Sue, I'll take some of my little scraps and make stacks of fabric for the background and like me there will be a long brown braid coming out of her bonnet.

I also like the Skeleton Sue idea, not sure if having a sugar skull would really work or not, but again, the point is in doing something different than I usually do.

I think this will probably be a long term project for me, making a block here and there, but you never know... sometimes you get started and before you know it, you have a hundred ideas that must come out.

Bkay -- I was just thinking last night about for people that swap blocks that a Red Hat Sue swap would be a lot of fun! The Hester Sue made me think about the Baby Bump Sue I saw... Sues are just up to all sorts of things.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-02-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:24 AM

http://www.geocities.ws/Heartland/Oaks/6813/badsue.html

Cute page. Might get some ideas here.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:05 AM

I love SBS and also love the bad SBS quilts.
How about Sue dressed as the Easter Bunny but squashing decorated eggs?
Old 04-02-2019, 05:22 PM

Really risque...S&M Sue (black leather with a whip)
Gun Moll Sue (1930's gangster)
Devil Sue
Stripper Sue (complete with pole)
Old 04-02-2019, 05:30 PM

In one of the former Boom swaps one of our swappers wanted 60's / 70's blocks, she was going to make a "hippie" quilt for a friend. One of our talented boomers (I forget which) made a SBS block w/ Sue burning her bra, it was awesome!
Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 PM

Years ago, I saw a website with "The demise of Sunbonnet Sue". Google it. it is quite funny!
Old 04-03-2019, 03:58 AM

Quilt in a Day posted a video a few months back when Eleanor’s right hand friend Sue (can’t think of her name, but she was the first person that I can remember that pieced her backs from leftover scraps) retired.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:24 AM

Sue as a member of the quilt police. Or robbing a quilt shop.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Someone on this board did some awhile back but I can't think of her name. Was it Martina?