Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey Stitch regulator and ramblings >

Bailey Stitch regulator and ramblings

Bailey Stitch regulator and ramblings

Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM

Rivka,

I was wondering if you've gotten your replacement regulator from Mr. Bailey yet? How is it working for you?

I just received my 17 today with the sew control and haven't tired it out yet but after reading the meager instructions that came with it, it specifically said that the slower you set the controller the larger and further apart the stitches would be. This is NOT what I was expecting either and I'm tempted to just return it. I want the regulator to control the speed and the stitch size. Hope you see this message and can reply. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by rivka
Well, I have the "stitch regulator" -- and I'm one of the ones that has been posting most recently on the Bailey Yahoo Group about having troubles with it! IMO, it is not truly a stitch regulator; I had a stitch regulator on my Juki, and it worked as expected -- when you moved faster or slower, the regulator would adjust as well, and your stitches would stay uniform.

My Bailey stitch regulator doesn't seem to do that; my stitches adjust in size based on how fast I'm going, which is not good. I've spoken to Mr. Bailey about it, and he's sending me a replacement (which will hopefully arrive soon). I'll post back here once I've gotten it, and let you know if I see any difference. I would really like for the regulator to work as expected!
That still sounds like a speed controller, not a regulator. A stitch regulator connects the information of where and how fast the carriage is moving with the speed of the machine in order to keep the stitches a same size. So, if you move the machine faster, it goes faster, and if you move it slow, the speed slows down.

A speed controller is just an on/off switch and has a dial to control the speed. It replaces the foot control.

That's how I understand it. That's why a stitch regulator is so expensive, and a speed controller is less expensive.

I have a Grace Speed controller on my machine.

speed controller on Right handle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164613[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164608.jpe  
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Rivka,

I was wondering if you've gotten your replacement regulator from Mr. Bailey yet? How is it working for you?

I just received my 17 today with the sew control and haven't tired it out yet but after reading the meager instructions that came with it, it specifically said that the slower you set the controller the larger and further apart the stitches would be. This is NOT what I was expecting either and I'm tempted to just return it. I want the regulator to control the speed and the stitch size. Hope you see this message and can reply. Thanks!
Rose, if you join the Bailey yahoo group, or maybe you don't have to join, not sure,, anyway there is a file on advanced settings on the sew control and lots of tips that people have figured out, I have one coming this week, I'm excited.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:03 AM

Kathy, did you get it?! What do you thnk? Was it hard to mount? I'm excited for you to. Hope it's all you wanted it to be.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 AM

sorry it took me so long, I forgot about this thread :oops:
I did get it and it works great, the thing I don't like is that it does not actually stop moving when you do so you have to hit the button to stop and give yourself time to think or move the ruler, but that isn't a BIG deal, still can't beat the setup for the price.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Kathy, I am a member of the group. Joined a year before buying. I've got my Sew Control set at around 10 o'clock and am having no problems at that range now. It does take a while to adjust to all of the little things but once you get going things just seem to get easier and easier. I love my Bailey!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM

I just got my sew control stitch regulator, I got it way before I expected. I just put the parts on the sewing machine tonight, now what I have to do is put the sensors on the quilting frame carriage. My husband helped me, we plan to do it tomorrow. It looks like I will have to take my frame apart to do this, there is no other way to take that carriage off of there. I put the frame together myself so I know how it comes off. I have directions on how to reset the minimun stitching speed. It's called the Advanced Operation at the end of the directions. I'm anxious to see how it works. I have a new joy quilting frame, if I was buying one today, I would buy a different quilting frame. It's not as wide as I would like to have it and not as much quilting space as I would like to have in the other directions. I got it and I just have to deal with it now.