Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey Stitch regulator and ramblings >

Bailey Stitch regulator and ramblings

Bailey Stitch regulator and ramblings

Old 01-01-2009, 05:00 PM

Has anyone purchased the Bailey stitch regulator? I'm hoping to get one sometime in Feb. We have the Bailye 15" with the Gracie 2 frame. It works for us. I'm a Babylock user and recently saw their new long-arm quilter, Jewel. Wonderful but way out of my budget range, and probably always will be. I do quilting only for myself. To pay that much I would have to do it for a living. I have found that when I take a hobby and try to make it a business it begins to be a "job" and not a hobby. I'll continue with my day time job and leave quilting for therapy. (Belive it or not quilting is a stress releaser for me.) I like the more challenging patterns, they make me think. I just finished a top for my son and he wanted just squares. I made it but it was a boring quilt to make. I'm going to make the quilting part a little more interesting than the piecing was. I'm getting off the subject. This thread was about a stitch regulator.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:59 AM

okie, I'm bumping this up for you for I would like to know if anyone has a stitch reg for this too:). I know June has one out there that she loves but, not sure about any of her attachments...maybe she'll see this now and anyone else??Skeat
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 AM

Also, I'd like to know how you like your combo? Do you find you can freely move w/the machine and frame? Anything you'd change?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 AM

I have a Bailey 15 on a GMQ Pro frame, got it in Nov. so we're still getting aquainted. I have the stitch regulator, it should be called a "speed regulator" because that's what it does, you still make the stitch length by how fast you move your machine, you set the dial and when you hit the button that's how fast the machine is sewing, once you get used to it, it works very nicely and your hand doesn't get tired from squeezing the trigger! BUT, it doesn't go REAL slow, like for basting so it takes a lot of practice to be ready to go when you hit the button, there's no easing into it. I just got the new platform because I thought the wooden one that came with my frame didn't move smoothly enough and on this one there is no place to use or attach the foot pedal, so when I need to baste I have to just hold it in my hand. I'm on my first full size quilt, I have some puckers that will have to be fixed but all in all I'm satisfied, now if I got just stay on the lines!!! I would post a picture but my computer does not cooperate much lately.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM

DH just installed the regulator last night. I've never quilted, DH has always done it. He just does panograph though. I want to learn the intrigate detailing like feathers and such. After reading your post I'm a little worried. I thought a regulator regulated the stitch, so what you are saying your stitches can still not be uniform in size. Also if if goes fast are you still able to do detail work around designs. After I have had the chance for "on hands training" maybe I will feel better about spending the money we spent for the regulator. On hands training is me doing trial and error. Thanks fro keeping me posted.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:48 AM

to do something that you just can't move pretty fast on I would figure out a way to use the foot pedal for my speed. which frame/carriage do you have? wood or metal?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:47 AM

okie, I'd say you are just fine w/your regulator...here's a good article that explains the process at: http://www.intellistitch.com/article...php?a=article7 let me know what you think after reading that..Skeat
Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 AM

I just got a used Bailey 13". The handles that came with it has a "speed control" knob. I understand that just controls how many stitches per minute the machine runs and I have to control the speed at which I move my machine to keep my stitches as consistent as possible. Bailey's offers a Sew Control Regulator with encoders. Does anyone have this? If so what are your thoughts about it? Any problems with mounting it on any specific frames?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Dena, if you go to the Bailey yahoo group and search stitch regulator, you'll get a ton of info. all I have is the spped control but am saving for the stitch regulator, I think it's about $700. from what I understand your frame is what may give you problems with it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

Well, I have the "stitch regulator" -- and I'm one of the ones that has been posting most recently on the Bailey Yahoo Group about having troubles with it! IMO, it is not truly a stitch regulator; I had a stitch regulator on my Juki, and it worked as expected -- when you moved faster or slower, the regulator would adjust as well, and your stitches would stay uniform.

My Bailey stitch regulator doesn't seem to do that; my stitches adjust in size based on how fast I'm going, which is not good. I've spoken to Mr. Bailey about it, and he's sending me a replacement (which will hopefully arrive soon). I'll post back here once I've gotten it, and let you know if I see any difference. I would really like for the regulator to work as expected!