Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bali Watercolour Wraps

Blog Entries

Bali Watercolour Wraps

My boss gave me a gift certificate to the LQS and I went in with frivolity on my mind and bought something I've never used before. A couple packages of blue Bali watercolour wraps, which are 7" charm squares. In the back of my mind I was thinking of a quilt in which the colours blend into one another with a gradual shift overall, but don't have a pattern and can't find one. After a couple days of fruitless searches, I'm here looking for help. What would you do with the set? Do you have a link to a pattern suggestion? How are precut squares handled? Ah, the fun of exploring something new.

Here's a picture of what I have:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

OK, number 1... what a great boss you have! The only patterns I know about would be for 5" charms. But I can't see why they wouldn't work for larger squares, too. Look on the Moda site at their Bake Shop. There also is a really neat pattern for pinwheels made from 2 squares that might work. I'm not sure where it is here on the board but I just saw it. Maybe in the "links" part. These squares of yours are awesome! You chose well!!! Let us know what you decide to do with these beauties!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Yummy colors!!!! What a great gift from your boss. Whatever you decide, it will be beautiful!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

These are sure pretty!
    Check out this pattern link you might like called cotton rainbow
    http://www.cozyquilt.com/Aspx/SearchResults.aspx

Gale

Blog Entries
    Find a barely blue background and do a Carpenter Star/Wheel. Whichever name you call it, it'd be gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    I would balance out the cool blues with warm pinks in a similar graduation from pale to dark. You could do a lattice with those two, possibly similar to the "pleinweave" one on this page (scroll down to find it):
    http://quiltinggallery.com/2011/02/2...modern-quilts/

I have a similar set, and I was thinking of cutting them in half and doing coins, alternating with gray or maybe black. I don't know if I have the same brand as you, but I went ahead and soaked mine first, and two of the darker blues bled and bled and bled. Just a friendly warning!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I bet you could adapt the blooming 9-patch pattern to what you described (colours blending into each other). Although a 9-patch isn't an ideal block for a 7" square as a starting point.

Blog Entries
    Lucky you!! You will definitely have lots of fun with these colours!

I had bought a number of tonal blue batiks with a similar idea in mind so I will be watching the variety of suggestions given here . I wanted to do a pattern that was like rippling water from one corner of the quilt to the other - just as if a stone was dropped into shallow water and the ripples rotated out to the deeper depths.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Those sure are beautiful! While I can't suggest a pattern, I do have a an idea for you. If you can't find a pattern for 7" squares, you might take 2" off two sides. That would give you matching strips for a log cabin later, and patterns for 5" blocks are everywhere. It's more work, but you would get to use those beautiful pieces twice.

Whatever you make, we want to see it!!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

A bargello would work well or a trip around the world pattern.

No pattern suggestions, but those sure are beautiful!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I didn't know Hoffman made 7" squares available. Is this something new?

Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    I bet you could adapt the blooming 9-patch pattern to what you described (colours blending into each other). Although a 9-patch isn't an ideal block for a 7" square as a starting point.
    Actually it is, if you cut it into 4 pieces you have 3-1/2" squares - perfect for a 9" 9Patch.

I'd cut each one in quarters so that I had 3 1/2" squares and do a Twister and have the colors move in and out in a gradation of color. A Trip Around The Wirld would be nice to move the colors in and out as well or a Bargello.

Check Jinny Beyer's website for free patterns featuring gradations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    Actually it is, if you cut it into 4 pieces you have 3-1/2" squares - perfect for a 9" 9Patch.
    The blooming 9-patch was my first thought, too!
    Judith

Blog Entries
    You really got some beautiful blocks.

Blog Entries
    What about doing a French Braid. That would be beautiful in those colors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I have a similar set, and I was thinking of cutting them in half and doing coins, alternating with gray or maybe black. I don't know if I have the same brand as you, but I went ahead and soaked mine first, and two of the darker blues bled and bled and bled. Just a friendly warning!
    THANK YOU for the warning. I had in mind that this might be the first quilt I make with unwashed fabric, since prewashing little squares seemed difficult. Now I know that this fabric will be wet before ever going into a finished project.

costume girl - your description of rippling water sounds just like what I would love to make. I'm very drawn to quilts in which the colours blend so well that by the time the change is really noticeable there have been several gradations between.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

I agree with fmhall2. Those colors would be fantastic in a French Braid quilt.

It sounds like you're talking about a color wash quilt where it gradually goes frpm light to dark? I made one many years ago in a pinwheel. It gives it the illusion that it's got movement.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I was also thinking French Braid, however, for your idea of the slow change in colors, I don't think you can beat the Flowering 9 Patch... or in your case, I think you could call it the Flowing 9 Patch! I see no reason you couldn't start it in one quarter of the quilt and work out from there with the design rather than from the center working out to all edges equally if you wanted to. Just plan out your colors on graph paper first. You would be leaving out the floral and just going to the next color gradation as you move out. I think it can easily be done as long as you number your fabrics and your graph pattern to help keep things in order. LOL Now you have me wanting to try it, too.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Yummy fabrics, great boss, hope you find the pattern you want!

Blog Entries
    Willfreg - good reminder about soaking batiks before using! Some of my friends make fun of my obsession with pre soaking or pre washing. They tell me that bleeding only happens with older fabric and that the new ones are more colour fast. It would be heart breaking to have put in so much time and effort into a project and then have some colours bleed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast