Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bargello quilting >
  • Bargello quilting

• Bargello quilting

Old 09-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
    Try your local library for bargello books that you can borrow. No expense!
    I just moved to this stupid town, and forgot all about a library.. I will go check it out! I remember the day when the library wa sthe only place to get info! Before the internet! I checked out tons of books on crochet and copied patterns all the time! Can't believe I forgot about the library! Thanks for reminding me!
    Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz
    Every bargello is different, and th

So to assemble, you strip piece in the order you want your colours to go (make a 40" wide piece, composed of stripes of each of your 9 fabrics, each one 2" wide (cut 2.5")). Then cut the strips the various widths you want, and offset each strip one from the one before it, to get the slope. If you diagram it out, you could assemble in parts and still make it look like it was a single piece.

This is really hard to explain - I hope you can find a book that is helpful, because I don't know if I'm being a lot of help here.

Editted to add: Feel free to PM me, if I help further.
    No, you have been a big help. I think I just need to start and hope for the best. Problem is that annoys me...I can't afford to waste any fabric! But one question...I know I cut from salvage to salvage and make 3 inch (example) strips..and then sew them all together in order I choose.. so now I have maybe 3" strip times 11 fabs..equals 33 inches and the sew into a tube. Cutting the strips to 1, 2 inches etc...and making the design...that means the sections are only 36" long...is that right? so if I want a 68" long quilt...I'd have to make 2 tubes identical. But then...if I sew them together in the middle to make one section...how does that middle coordinate with the rest of the quilt as far as the "wave" goes? And in doing that..I'd have to make 4 of these sections and sew them together..am I thinking this right? I have looked at the books at Amazon.com and they only show so little and the reviews on so many are not that great so I am leary of buying a book! Thanks so much for your help.
    Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 PM

I just bought Eileen Wrights book yesterday, as I couldn't find any bargello books at my local library. It is very detailed and has charts and everything. She has quite a few patterns that I can't wait to try out.
    Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 PM

After writing my response about using the library, I remembered that I had a bargello pattern that came from a member of this board that is easy to understand. Her screen name is UglyCook (terrible name!) and she is a wonderful quilter.

Let's see if I can get this to attach--- Nope! After three tries, I give up. I will PM you.
    Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Also, make sure and check out needlepoint books regarding Bargello which is where it seems to have originated.
    Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Here's the link to UglyCook's original post-- I'll still PM you!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...o-t129916.html
    Old 09-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by coffeebreak
    No, you have been a big help. I think I just need to start and hope for the best. Problem is that annoys me...I can't afford to waste any fabric! But one question...I know I cut from salvage to salvage and make 3 inch (example) strips..and then sew them all together in order I choose.. so now I have maybe 3" strip times 11 fabs..equals 33 inches and the sew into a tube. Cutting the strips to 1, 2 inches etc...and making the design...that means the sections are only 36" long...is that right? so if I want a 68" long quilt...I'd have to make 2 tubes identical. But then...if I sew them together in the middle to make one section...how does that middle coordinate with the rest of the quilt as far as the "wave" goes? And in doing that..I'd have to make 4 of these sections and sew them together..am I thinking this right? I have looked at the books at Amazon.com and they only show so little and the reviews on so many are not that great so I am leary of buying a book! Thanks so much for your help.
    Yes, make 2 (or more) tubes identical. You can sew multiple strip sets together - for example use your 11 fabrics twice in your tube and you'd have 66 inches. That could get hard to manage however. If you make multiple tubes, you simply assemble each wave piece carefully, to match how you want the colours to flow in the middle. Definitely don't make 2 rectangluar sections from 2 tubes and attempt to simply sew them together. You need careful planning to make sure they sew together in the pattern you want.

I hope you find something in the library - it sound like you understand the basics of what you need to do, but a quick tutorial will probably clear everything up much better than we can here.
    Old 09-20-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz
    Yes, make 2 (or more) tubes identical. You can sew multiple strip sets together - for example use your 11 fabrics twice in your tube and you'd have 66 inches. That could get hard to manage however. If you make multiple tubes, you simply assemble each wave piece carefully, to match how you want the colours to flow in the middle. Definitely don't make 2 rectangluar sections from 2 tubes and attempt to simply sew them together. You need careful planning to make sure they sew together in the pattern you want.

I hope you find something in the library - it sound like you understand the basics of what you need to do, but a quick tutorial will probably clear everything up much better than we can here.
    Krista..thanks so much! Yes, I finally get it!!! RIght there infront of my face and I couldn't see it...that just means it is so simple I am thinking to much and to hard! Ia m so bad at measurements...what I have been doing is just find a block I like and make some and assemble from the center out and create as I go and stop when I like what it looks like! This is my very first "done as measured" quilt! It has to be twin bed size so she will be able to use it on her bed...for a blanket or comforter on top. Okay, I am really excited now! Thank you so much for your help!

Oh wait...you said don't make 2 rectangle pieces and sew them together..that is what I am thinking of doing. What do you suggest? The theme I want is ocean waves. I am thinking if I make them all that long and then lay athem out on the floor in the design I want..then just sew them all together one by one. HOw would I do it making 4 sections and still get that middle area with a wave effect matching hte appropriate colors and wave effect?

Last edited by coffeebreak; 09-20-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: add a question
    Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 AM

My son is a huge Orca whale fanatic too. I love the idea of a Bargello. If your backing print has orcas that you could fussy cut, you might consider appliqueing a few to the top when your done. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for the bargello itself.
    Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by coffeebreak
    I am thinking if I make them all that long and then lay them out on the floor in the design I want..then just sew them all together one by one. HOw would I do it making 4 sections and still get that middle area with a wave effect matching hte appropriate colors and wave effect?
    This is perfect! Forget what I said about not making 2 rectangles - I think we were talking about different things/different steps. Make your long pieces, cut and lay them out will work great (I hope you have a *big* floor area to work in

I would cut as you go - don't cut all your strips and then lay them out. Do it a bit at a time so that you can cut different widths to make the design what you want as you go, rather than having to make it work with random cuts you made up front. Or, try to sketch it out first, so you have an idea how many wide, medium, and narrow strips you are going to want.