Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bargello quilting

Bargello quilting

I am wanting to make one of these. They are so amazing. I have chosen blue/teals...to give the effect of the ocean waters as the back is (real looking) Orca whales..my GD is a huge fan of these animals. So I want the bargello pattern to imitate ocean waves...so I know I need the strips different sizes...1,1/2 to 3,1/2inch wide by the length of the fabric. However...anyone have instructions more detailed than that? Like how many of each size strip and do I make the quilt (twin size, maybe slightly larger) all one length of strips or is it made into 4 sections and then sewed together. Any thing you can suggest would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    If you have never made one before I would perhaps start with a pattern, these are some
    http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cat_id=383
    and I have heard great things about this book, which has some amazing quilts in it
    http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Bargello.../dp/1564779432
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    If you have never made one before I would perhaps start with a pattern, these are some
    http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cat_id=383
    and I have heard great things about this book, which has some amazing quilts in it
    http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Bargello.../dp/1564779432
    Thanks so much for this as I really want to do one as well!

This is a link to a bargello I made from Eileen Wright s book "Twist and Turn Bargello".

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t181266.html

I loved working from her book as the instructions are very clear. Just an FYI Eileen is a member of this board and periodically comments on quilts made from her patterns. Bargellos are not hard , just read the instruction a few times , stay organized, and keep the chart close at hand. I made a copy of the chart and drew a line threw the columns I had completed.

You can pick the book up at JoAnns when on sale or a coupon, or you can buy it used on line .
    Last edited by Lori S; 09-20-2012 at 05:56 AM.

I made one bargello quilt. I bought this book http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1564...ls_o01_s00_i01 which explains not only a construction method, but also how to draft your own design. I don't think the construction method would be great for a bed quilt (mine is a wallhanging) but it might give you some ideas how to proceed. Here's my quilt - designed to look like a waterfall.

Name:  P1160011.JPG
Views: 2601
Size:  39.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    I made one bargello quilt. I bought this book http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1564...ls_o01_s00_i01 which explains not only a construction method, but also how to draft your own design. I don't think the construction method would be great for a bed quilt (mine is a wallhanging) but it might give you some ideas how to proceed. Here's my quilt - designed to look like a waterfall.

Name:  P1160011.JPG
Views: 2601
Size:  39.9 KB
    Looks great. Any tips or suggestions you care to share? I am wanting a water theme..ocean waves specifically. I have 9 fabrics, but can't find a pattern that tells how many strips to cut of each size nor can I find one that tells how much to buy and cut for a twin size quilt. I hate to buy a book online cause I can't see much and if I spend $25 for the book and it doesn't have what I want...it is money wasted. I looked at JOannes, but they dont' have one about Bargello. I have watched Eleanor Burns QIAD and she says for a queen you need 24 fat quarters, but doesn't say if it is 24 diff fabrics, or 2 each of 12 diff fabs. Also doesn't say if the quilt is made a one unit...or multiple units, and if multiple...how do you end the one and start the other? I started withteh Around the World quilt and that is made in 2 halves sewn together in the middle, but I want the ocean waves to be all together flowing. Much like yours...

I agree. I made the Infinity pattern and it came out great. There's a really nice one called Surf Song that I want to make also.

http://www.ladysewandsew.co.uk/Atlan...Fabric-Freedom
    3 free bargello patterns, very oceanish.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
    Looks great. Any tips or suggestions you care to share? I am wanting a water theme..ocean waves specifically. I have 9 fabrics, but can't find a pattern that tells how many strips to cut of each size nor can I find one that tells how much to buy and cut for a twin size quilt. I hate to buy a book online cause I can't see much and if I spend $25 for the book and it doesn't have what I want...it is money wasted. I looked at JOannes, but they dont' have one about Bargello. I have watched Eleanor Burns QIAD and she says for a queen you need 24 fat quarters, but doesn't say if it is 24 diff fabrics, or 2 each of 12 diff fabs. Also doesn't say if the quilt is made a one unit...or multiple units, and if multiple...how do you end the one and start the other? I started withteh Around the World quilt and that is made in 2 halves sewn together in the middle, but I want the ocean waves to be all together flowing. Much like yours...
    Every bargello is different, and the number of strips etc is going to depend on your pattern. But let me try to give you a rough estimate. As you said - strips will vary from 1.5 to 3.5 inches wide. Let's assume an average of 2". If your quilt is going to be 60x80 (wild guess at the size of a twin) and your pattern is wide, rather than tall, that would be 40 60" strips, cut at 2.5" each (approximately). That's about 3/4 yards of each of 9 fabrics.

For designing a bargello/figuring out strip widths - it is all about the curve you want. See diagram - if each - is 1", here's an example of a curve you could draw:

---
    ....--
    .......-
    .........-
    ...........--
    ...............---
    ...................---

(The dots are there because this board won't let me put spaces at the front of lines) Notice the narrow strips make steep, and the wider strips make shallow curves. So what I drew is 3", 2", 1", 1", 2", 3", 3" strips. The vertical stripes are usually all the same width, I think. Mine were, anyway.

So to assemble, you strip piece in the order you want your colours to go (make a 40" wide piece, composed of stripes of each of your 9 fabrics, each one 2" wide (cut 2.5")). Then cut the strips the various widths you want, and offset each strip one from the one before it, to get the slope. If you diagram it out, you could assemble in parts and still make it look like it was a single piece.

This is really hard to explain - I hope you can find a book that is helpful, because I don't know if I'm being a lot of help here.

Editted to add: Feel free to PM me, if I help further.

Blog Entries
    Try your local library for bargello books that you can borrow. No expense!
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    Try your local library for bargello books that you can borrow. No expense!
    I just moved to this stupid town, and forgot all about a library.. I will go check it out! I remember the day when the library wa sthe only place to get info! Before the internet! I checked out tons of books on crochet and copied patterns all the time! Can't believe I forgot about the library! Thanks for reminding me!

Every bargello is different, and th

So to assemble, you strip piece in the order you want your colours to go (make a 40" wide piece, composed of stripes of each of your 9 fabrics, each one 2" wide (cut 2.5")). Then cut the strips the various widths you want, and offset each strip one from the one before it, to get the slope. If you diagram it out, you could assemble in parts and still make it look like it was a single piece.

This is really hard to explain - I hope you can find a book that is helpful, because I don't know if I'm being a lot of help here.

Editted to add: Feel free to PM me, if I help further.
    No, you have been a big help. I think I just need to start and hope for the best. Problem is that annoys me...I can't afford to waste any fabric! But one question...I know I cut from salvage to salvage and make 3 inch (example) strips..and then sew them all together in order I choose.. so now I have maybe 3" strip times 11 fabs..equals 33 inches and the sew into a tube. Cutting the strips to 1, 2 inches etc...and making the design...that means the sections are only 36" long...is that right? so if I want a 68" long quilt...I'd have to make 2 tubes identical. But then...if I sew them together in the middle to make one section...how does that middle coordinate with the rest of the quilt as far as the "wave" goes? And in doing that..I'd have to make 4 of these sections and sew them together..am I thinking this right? I have looked at the books at Amazon.com and they only show so little and the reviews on so many are not that great so I am leary of buying a book! Thanks so much for your help.

I just bought Eileen Wrights book yesterday, as I couldn't find any bargello books at my local library. It is very detailed and has charts and everything. She has quite a few patterns that I can't wait to try out.

Blog Entries
    After writing my response about using the library, I remembered that I had a bargello pattern that came from a member of this board that is easy to understand. Her screen name is UglyCook (terrible name!) and she is a wonderful quilter.

Let's see if I can get this to attach--- Nope! After three tries, I give up. I will PM you.
    Sue

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Also, make sure and check out needlepoint books regarding Bargello which is where it seems to have originated.
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Blog Entries
    Here's the link to UglyCook's original post-- I'll still PM you!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...o-t129916.html
    Sue

No, you have been a big help. I think I just need to start and hope for the best. Problem is that annoys me...I can't afford to waste any fabric! But one question...I know I cut from salvage to salvage and make 3 inch (example) strips..and then sew them all together in order I choose.. so now I have maybe 3" strip times 11 fabs..equals 33 inches and the sew into a tube. Cutting the strips to 1, 2 inches etc...and making the design...that means the sections are only 36" long...is that right? so if I want a 68" long quilt...I'd have to make 2 tubes identical. But then...if I sew them together in the middle to make one section...how does that middle coordinate with the rest of the quilt as far as the "wave" goes? And in doing that..I'd have to make 4 of these sections and sew them together..am I thinking this right? I have looked at the books at Amazon.com and they only show so little and the reviews on so many are not that great so I am leary of buying a book! Thanks so much for your help.
    Yes, make 2 (or more) tubes identical. You can sew multiple strip sets together - for example use your 11 fabrics twice in your tube and you'd have 66 inches. That could get hard to manage however. If you make multiple tubes, you simply assemble each wave piece carefully, to match how you want the colours to flow in the middle. Definitely don't make 2 rectangluar sections from 2 tubes and attempt to simply sew them together. You need careful planning to make sure they sew together in the pattern you want.

I hope you find something in the library - it sound like you understand the basics of what you need to do, but a quick tutorial will probably clear everything up much better than we can here.

Yes, make 2 (or more) tubes identical. You can sew multiple strip sets together - for example use your 11 fabrics twice in your tube and you'd have 66 inches. That could get hard to manage however. If you make multiple tubes, you simply assemble each wave piece carefully, to match how you want the colours to flow in the middle. Definitely don't make 2 rectangluar sections from 2 tubes and attempt to simply sew them together. You need careful planning to make sure they sew together in the pattern you want.

I hope you find something in the library - it sound like you understand the basics of what you need to do, but a quick tutorial will probably clear everything up much better than we can here.
    Krista..thanks so much! Yes, I finally get it!!! RIght there infront of my face and I couldn't see it...that just means it is so simple I am thinking to much and to hard! Ia m so bad at measurements...what I have been doing is just find a block I like and make some and assemble from the center out and create as I go and stop when I like what it looks like! This is my very first "done as measured" quilt! It has to be twin bed size so she will be able to use it on her bed...for a blanket or comforter on top. Okay, I am really excited now! Thank you so much for your help!

Oh wait...you said don't make 2 rectangle pieces and sew them together..that is what I am thinking of doing. What do you suggest? The theme I want is ocean waves. I am thinking if I make them all that long and then lay athem out on the floor in the design I want..then just sew them all together one by one. HOw would I do it making 4 sections and still get that middle area with a wave effect matching hte appropriate colors and wave effect?
    Last edited by coffeebreak; 09-20-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: add a question

Blog Entries
    My son is a huge Orca whale fanatic too. I love the idea of a Bargello. If your backing print has orcas that you could fussy cut, you might consider appliqueing a few to the top when your done. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for the bargello itself.

I am thinking if I make them all that long and then lay them out on the floor in the design I want..then just sew them all together one by one. HOw would I do it making 4 sections and still get that middle area with a wave effect matching hte appropriate colors and wave effect?
    This is perfect! Forget what I said about not making 2 rectangles - I think we were talking about different things/different steps. Make your long pieces, cut and lay them out will work great (I hope you have a *big* floor area to work in

I would cut as you go - don't cut all your strips and then lay them out. Do it a bit at a time so that you can cut different widths to make the design what you want as you go, rather than having to make it work with random cuts you made up front. Or, try to sketch it out first, so you have an idea how many wide, medium, and narrow strips you are going to want.

If you've never done any before, definitely get a pattern ( or book). It would take much more explaining than we can do here for you to do it properly. But I've done several, and have one awards on them, so here are my hints. Get ziplock bags to ut all the same width strips in - its easy to mix up 2 1/2" with 2 3/8". (ask me how i know this!) Use a smaller stitch than you normally do, because you will be cutting sections apart and you don't want them to "unsew" themselves! I have found it doesn't matter whether you sew 2 strips together and 2 more and so on, and then sew them together,or just start with one strip and sew on the rest. I have found that pressing straight is more important. And use Best Press or at least a starch of some sort to stabilize the strip sets so they will be much easier to cut. And cutting and sewing ACCURACY is very important if you want the overall effect to come out right. So take you time to cut and sew. It will pay off in the end. Oh yes, one more thing. Put a safety pin in the top left corner and leave it there for the entire project. It will help you when you have to put your work down and come back to into see where the top is, and where the next strip is sewn. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hevemi View Post
    http://www.ladysewandsew.co.uk/Atlan...Fabric-Freedom
    3 free bargello patterns, very oceanish.
    Lovely bargello pattern. Found a couple other patterns I like also. Thanks for sharing the link.