Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bargello quilts >

bargello quilts

bargello quilts

Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K View Post
Is Bargello hard to do? It's so beautiful and yet seems so complicating.
I haven't made one yet (I used to do bargello in needlepoint & it wasn't hard once you got the "rhythm" going), but I think the first one I'm going to try is the scrappy one from Quiltville. That way, if it doesn't turn out so whoppee, I will only be out my scraps & my time.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Momma_K View Post
Is Bargello hard to do? It's so beautiful and yet seems so complicating.
They're not hard to do. My SIL and I took a class in it. That's my avatar. It's a matter of prep. Mine is a QAYG type. Lay the backing down, spray w/adhesive, lay the batting down, lay the iron-on gridded interfacing down, press in place (I use one w/1" squares), then pin the layers together. The gridded interfacing greatly helps in keeping everything aligned properly. The class didn't teach that, they had you draw lines on batting. Not a good way to go. Sew your strips of fabric together (they call them runs), cut them into the sizes needed, then start by sewing the middle strip set down. You work out from the center. Then it's just sewing strips down with 1/4" seams, making sure everything stays straight. My SIL figures she sewed hers about 1 1/2 times, she did so much ripping out. She used a plaid to line the strips up with. For me, the interfacing makes it easier. The book I used was Bargello Quilts by Marge Edie. She has patterns and she shows you how to make your own design.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 PM

[I posted the bargello Lovers Knot sometime back it is by Derick Lockwood and I loved making it.My all time favorite. QUOTE=spunky;5339476]I am interested in bargello quilt patterns and tutorials. Have one for scrap bargello but would be interested in more ideas. Spunky[/QUOTE]
Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Red face

Barguello's are really pretty easy as long as you pay attending to your pattern (and mark with either a post-it the parts done or highlight, etc) and get your corners matched up on the strips. I'm working on one now from Jinny Beyer's website under Beginner's (the free patterns) that uses 2 different barguello blocks that you arrange to form the pattern. The blocks are easier than doing a whole quilt design. The hardest part, I think, about barguello's is picking out all those different fabrics!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:21 PM

There was a tutorial on this board by Barb_MO in 2010 I made one with her instructions hope you can still find it in the tutorials.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up

www.digitechpatterns.com has some beautiful ones by Becky Botello. Just type Bargello in their search box.