Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: bargello quilts

bargello quilts

I am interested in bargello quilt patterns and tutorials. Have one for scrap bargello but would be interested in more ideas. Spunky

Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    I remember finding several patterns in books at the local library! Give that a try. At the time, I was just looking for projects and ideas...can not even remember what I decided upon. But, the local library is an excellent source. Another idea, just start browsing the internet for free patterns. Even if you can not find one for free, you may come across one for sale that you just can not do without. I am really tempted by the link above,Lockwood. Wow, there are some interesting ones with endless possibilities using various fabrics. Have fun searching and deciding.
    Brenda

I have done 3 designs by Lockwood. They are fun to do and his instructions
    are excellent.
    I decided I wanted to make a larger quilt from one of his and didn't know how
    to add on so that the quilt looked "right". I emailed him and he answered within
    a day and mailed to me instructions for making that particular quilt the size I
    wanted it to be!!! And I'm sure he had to go back into his designing program
    and do this especially for me.

Thanks for sharing!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

There are several bargello quilts here --->

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/search...&cof=FORID%3A9
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

One of the QB member posted a pic of an absolutely gorgeous bargello. Here is a link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...o-t192131.html
    Here is the link to the pattern.
    http://stores.digitechpatterns.com/-...ilt/Detail.bok
    And here is a pic of one I just completed and posted here.
    Name:  Bargello Wallhanging.JPG
Views: 2171
Size:  179.1 KB

Also Google "Becky Botello Bargello Quilt Patterns" or something similar, she has several patterns all between 4 and 5 USD, some are free - Dollyo's link above shows one of them.
    Last edited by hevemi; 07-06-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Is Bargello hard to do? It's so beautiful and yet seems so complicating.
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Looks fairly simple really, it is a matter of having a good design board...what do I know? I want to do one next as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K View Post
    I haven't made one yet (I used to do bargello in needlepoint & it wasn't hard once you got the "rhythm" going), but I think the first one I'm going to try is the scrappy one from Quiltville. That way, if it doesn't turn out so whoppee, I will only be out my scraps & my time.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K View Post
    They're not hard to do. My SIL and I took a class in it. That's my avatar. It's a matter of prep. Mine is a QAYG type. Lay the backing down, spray w/adhesive, lay the batting down, lay the iron-on gridded interfacing down, press in place (I use one w/1" squares), then pin the layers together. The gridded interfacing greatly helps in keeping everything aligned properly. The class didn't teach that, they had you draw lines on batting. Not a good way to go. Sew your strips of fabric together (they call them runs), cut them into the sizes needed, then start by sewing the middle strip set down. You work out from the center. Then it's just sewing strips down with 1/4" seams, making sure everything stays straight. My SIL figures she sewed hers about 1 1/2 times, she did so much ripping out. She used a plaid to line the strips up with. For me, the interfacing makes it easier. The book I used was Bargello Quilts by Marge Edie. She has patterns and she shows you how to make your own design.

Blog Entries
    [I posted the bargello Lovers Knot sometime back it is by Derick Lockwood and I loved making it.My all time favorite. QUOTE=spunky;5339476]I am interested in bargello quilt patterns and tutorials. Have one for scrap bargello but would be interested in more ideas. Spunky[/QUOTE]

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Red face

Barguello's are really pretty easy as long as you pay attending to your pattern (and mark with either a post-it the parts done or highlight, etc) and get your corners matched up on the strips. I'm working on one now from Jinny Beyer's website under Beginner's (the free patterns) that uses 2 different barguello blocks that you arrange to form the pattern. The blocks are easier than doing a whole quilt design. The hardest part, I think, about barguello's is picking out all those different fabrics!

Blog Entries
    There was a tutorial on this board by Barb_MO in 2010 I made one with her instructions hope you can still find it in the tutorials.

www.digitechpatterns.com has some beautiful ones by Becky Botello. Just type Bargello in their search box.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter