Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting!! The "B" word >

Basting!! The "B" word

Basting!! The "B" word

Old 05-21-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by SandyMac
My only problem wiyh pin basting is clearing the table. Sooooo I just take it to the senior center not only do I get a clean table but friends to help. Good times :-D
Maybe I should leanr to type or spell I'm not sure which :oops:
Old 05-21-2010, 03:00 PM

I'm really liking this idea of a "basting party". I think I might have enough friends to do this.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Minda
I use safety pin covers and a Kwik Klip when I pin bast (no more sore fingers). I use the Kwik Klip to close the pins and to open them when I remove them. It's one of the best quilting investments I've ever made. The clips are tedious to put on, but once they are on you never take them off. I also always store my safety pins open. When you are ready to pin just shake a clump of pins over the area you are working on and they fall right apart. The first site below shows how they work, but the second site has better prices. If you pin baste, you'll wonder how you ever got along without these tools.
Ditto to the some of the above; no Kwik Klip or covers; I use a tool from an old manicure set to help open & close the pins ... it works o.k. Also, I wrap the 3 quilt layers around the edge of my plywood table and clip (large spring clips from the an office supply) all around the quilt section, making sure the layers are all smooth and taut before I pin. When one section is done, I un-clip, move to another section and repeat. My tabletop is about 38" from the floor, which is the perfect height for no back pain/strain for me. I have hand basted in the past, but I'm a little sloppy with it so do much better with the little curved safety pins. I have a bazillion of them, my theory being that you can never have too many.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

I use safety pins. Table not large enough so I use the floor. I use handle of teaspoon to close pins. So far so good.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Banned

I would baste them on my longarm if you would like. I do it a lot for people and the stitches are easy to take out. PM me...
Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 PM

How long do you make the basting stitches? I've never hand basted a quilt, always used pins.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 PM

If you pin baste, you'll wonder how you ever got along without these tools.

http://www.patchworks.com/fingertips.htm

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1621
===========================================
What lovely ideas I'm getting from this site!!

I've never heard of these before, just shows how much there is that I
still have to learn, even though I'm 76 and in my second childhood!
And boy, am I having fun!!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 PM

I have a Gracie z44 frame that I purchased not for hand quilting but just to place my quilts on the frame spray baste them together then quilt them with my regular sewing machine. Which I will no longer need to do because I have a new little Gracie II with a bailey. But I have done the spraying process on the z44 for about two years.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:09 AM
Banned

my hubby got me a plastic drop cloth for $3.00 at bi mart. I live in a tiny duplex now, so there is no room. so I pull out my cutting table. spread the drop cloth over everything it will cover, and then I spray. It works real good that way. I hope this helps. God bless. Penny
Old 05-22-2010, 03:19 AM

I love the basting sprays. I've tried them all. An inexpensive drop cloth is a fabulous idea. That stuff is hard to clean up.

A gal in my guild told me to use Elmer's washable school glue. She doesn't dilute it or anything. She just squirts small amounts on both sides of the batting. Anyone tried this method? She says it washes completely out.