Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Well, they went and did it

  1. #1
    Super Member EagarBeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Eagar, Arizona
    Posts
    1,685
    My local Walmart went and moved their fabric dept with the remodeling, and made it much, much smaller. Have not walked the aisle to see what they had, but, their prices are $4.74 the cheapest, other then the one small table with $1.00 fabrics which had about 8 -10 fabrics on it. Guess I will just not bother with the fabric dept anymore.

  2. #2
    quiltluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lost in a quilt shop :-)
    Posts
    1,353
    Back in the day, I used to like digging for remnants. None around here have fabric that I know of. Last one I was at was last year in Garden Grove, CA and that store had a big fabric department. Found a Cranston VIP print that I had been hunting for, but it was in another color. I still bought several yards.

  3. #3
    Super Member luv-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southeast Ohio
    Posts
    2,591
    I hear Ya, Ours is ready for a remodel and I figure it is a matter of time and our material will be gone :cry:
    I wonder????? Are their any mills to go to in the south???
    That would be worth a road trip or I guess we could all go to Arkansas to Marshall's.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    For those in the Johnson City, TN area---- our Walmart store is set for a remodel within the next month. The fabric dept, the latest I've heard, will be smaller! We will be keeping the fabrics currently on the back wall and 'some' of the other, but I don't know what will or won't be there anymore.
    I really hate it for all of us.
    I'd say be on the look out for sales at the very end of this month or first part of and through June. And sales may be throughout the store, not just fabrics/crafts. No sales yet....just some new fabric! (????)

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    I hear Ya, Ours is ready for a remodel and I figure it is a matter of time and our material will be gone :cry:
    I wonder????? Are their any mills to go to in the south???
    That would be worth a road trip or I guess we could all go to Arkansas to Marshall's.
    Don't know about mills, but there is Mary Jo's in NC. I am thinking about going there in June, just to drool.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    2
    I am going to try to write Wal Mart to let them know that there are a lot of sewers and quilters who are VERY disappointed with their decision to stop carrying fabric. They made a lot of money on us....we won't be shopping there as much.. at least, I won't. I shop where I get what I want and need...... and I NEED my fabric!!!!

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    Just imagine how much free advertisement Wal-mart has gotten because they removed their fabric.

  8. #8
    Super Member luv-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southeast Ohio
    Posts
    2,591
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    I hear Ya, Ours is ready for a remodel and I figure it is a matter of time and our material will be gone :cry:
    I wonder????? Are their any mills to go to in the south???
    That would be worth a road trip or I guess we could all go to Arkansas to Marshall's.
    Don't know about mills, but there is Mary Jo's in NC. I am thinking about going there in June, just to drool.
    Just looked up Mary Jo's ""WOW"" I would drool too.
    :hunf: lucky you.

  9. #9
    Senior Member pam1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by dsb38327
    Just imagine how much free advertisement Wal-mart has gotten because they removed their fabric.
    :lol: No kidding!

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,306
    I never had a problem dropping between 35-50 bucks a paycheck in the fabric department at Wal-Mart, but now that $ goes to my LQS or online stores. So, now unless it is something that I can only get there more of my money goes elsewhere. They are also changing to their brand of items and taking away the name brand stuff so shopping with the ads at my grocery stores has become cheaper.

  11. #11
    Senior Member EllaBud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis and Panama City Beach
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by smagruder
    I am going to try to write Wal Mart to let them know that there are a lot of sewers and quilters who are VERY disappointed with their decision to stop carrying fabric. They made a lot of money on us....we won't be shopping there as much.. at least, I won't. I shop where I get what I want and need...... and I NEED my fabric!!!!
    Just wanted to tell you that I wrote the 3 top executives at Walmart on March 15th. No one of them wrote back to me yet and believe me, I'm not holding my breath. And one of them is still a Walton! I complained about them removing their fabric departments for the almightly dollar associated with electronics. I hope that others will write too. Here's the thread that has the addresses and names of the Walmart top boys:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-39030-1.htm

  12. #12
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    I don't shop at Walmart anymore since they took out the fabric department. We go elsewhere for groceries!

    Craftybear

    Quote Originally Posted by EllaBud
    Quote Originally Posted by smagruder
    I am going to try to write Wal Mart to let them know that there are a lot of sewers and quilters who are VERY disappointed with their decision to stop carrying fabric. They made a lot of money on us....we won't be shopping there as much.. at least, I won't. I shop where I get what I want and need...... and I NEED my fabric!!!!
    Just wanted to tell you that I wrote the 3 top executives at Walmart on March 15th. No one of them wrote back to me yet and believe me, I'm not holding my breath. And one of them is still a Walton! I complained about them removing their fabric departments for the almightly dollar associated with electronics. I hope that others will write too. Here's the thread that has the addresses and names of the Walmart top boys:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-39030-1.htm

  13. #13
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Maybe all should protest to the Main Walmart Office! Let them know that we count on them for our fabric needs! ?

  14. #14
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Oh! I did not see that someone has done just that!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southwest Corner of Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    88
    Forget writing to WalMart. Over a year ago they did a store remodel in Natchez, MS. We now have one row, double shelves of fabric and are told it will be gone soon. They have enlarged their craft area. We've written, others have written.
    Our fabric department was not manned well. Many times, I cut my own fabric and watched others do also. No wonder they claim it didn't make money.

  16. #16
    Super Member luv-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southeast Ohio
    Posts
    2,591
    "W" is telling us what we need. They don't give us the choice anymore. If enough people don't buy a product they get rid of it. [like quilter's, we can't buy material every wk. just to keep them in business] Now we are stuck with a company that has run all the small business's out and we have no other place to shop , in small town's. I wish more people realized this and quit doing all their shopping there.. It makes me sad. I do hope the employee's get a union.

  17. #17
    Super Member tigger5464's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ????????????
    Posts
    1,739
    Blog Entries
    2
    Last year I wrote to walmart exec's...the response that I got was that the decision had been made to change everything over to become more "target like". I was also told that they will be catering to the 30 and under crowd like Target does. I do very very little shopping there and any time that I need or can afford fabric I go to the LQS. I refuse to shop there unless it is something that I cannot live without until I can drive 30 to 50 miles to a big city which is rare (about needing something) Our tiny town has a walmart and they don't even carry wiper blades for my cars or pickup!!!! What's up with that??? Can't even find a car battery to fit!!!! I have a sister in law that works for wally world in a larger city that I told that "walmart is worthless" ....wow did she ever get upset...I told her to find a set of wiper blades for my model year pickup in our town. Her reply was that We can't carry everything....typical response that has been drilled into them!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.