Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
basting my first quilt top Q's >

basting my first quilt top Q's

basting my first quilt top Q's

Old 01-31-2015, 06:10 AM

If you have space to store, try using two identical ironing boards placed side by side to keep the quilt off the floor and level. I would use spray basting in a well-ventilated area.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I love the quilt. Since I haven't been able to get down on the floor for any reason and get back up, I do not put my quilt on the floor. You said that the quilt fits a table top, so that's what I would use, just trim up the extra pieces along the border and go for it. I use pin basting as I only machine quilt, but I use my table often and ifthe quilt is larger, I put my cutting mats on my DH's bed and he helps pin. His bed is easier to get around than mine, however, I find it better for me if I can sit and pin the quilt, starting at one end, then working towards the other, using masking tape to hold all 3 layers down on the table.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
Your top is completely sewn together, correct? It should only take 30 minutes to an hour to thread baste a quilt that small. You take huge running stitches in a grid, with the rows about a hands width apart.
I learned to baste using a starburst pattern starting at the middle. Any information about different basting patterns might be helpful. Any other methods?
I have also glue basted and much prefer that method. Throw a sheet over your table to protect the finish in case the glue comes through. Place quilt layers- backing face down, batting, then quilt top face up. Lift top layer and batting and fold it back over itself, swirl glue strings about four inches apart to cover that half of the backing, pull batting down, swirl glue in a similar pattern, then fold the top layer back down and smooth all layers. Fold back second half the same way to glue. Place a safety pin in each corner and one on each edge, then you can gently move it to a safer place to dry without shifting the layers, (Leave the sheet on the table). I use the shower rod in my extra bathroom since we never use that shower. It will be completely dry in about 24 hours. This method works great for machine quilting, but will be harder if not impossible to hand quilt.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:53 AM

Friends,

Thanks so much for giving me some ideas, confidence, and support as I move ahead with my new hobby! As it turned out, I took the Elmer's washable glue route on a "practice" quilting project first and liked the results I achieved.
This was mainly a test for me on 2 counts: one, to try out glue basting a quilt sandwich and two - giving myself a small bit of material to practice my hand at honest-to-goodness quilting with my new Bernina walking foot! The thing I basted for practice is just a pair of 12" traditional blocks with simple sashing and is about 18"x 36" in measurement.
I want to do some echo quilting and outline quilting to see how I do. Good luck to me!
Old 02-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Default first practice with walking foot after glue basting

Well, here is my first experiment with actual "quilting" - beyond piecing, sewing, ironing, etc....I am thinking this is just about best described as a micro-table runner thing-a-ma-bob.
Next steps: creating my binding - attaching the binding - and washing, then...bing!

Adam

ps....lots of experimentation here with different things from echo sewing/in the ditch sewing/border quilting/and so on....just was fun to actually finally use my Bernina walking foot! (#50) - It was really pretty darn easy to use!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509369[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509370[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails qprojone.1.jpg   qprojone.2.jpg