Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting pins >

Basting pins

Basting pins

Old 07-30-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
This tool does make closing the pins SO MUCH much easier. I have at least 3 of them. I guess I am from the old school, I could never use white glue to baste a quilt. I dislike the smell of adhesive spray. I use to go to my LQS to pin baste my quilts in their classroom. It would be a fun day to spend it at my LQS.
I looked up kwik-klip on google, and if I understand it right, you use regular safety pins with it?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

I just bought and used the curved pins for the first time. I love them. So much easier then the straight pins.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:24 AM

I also highly recommend the Kwik Klip tool. It has a wooden handle and looks like a screw driver, but the end is a rounded tip with 2 grooves in it. You just slid it next to the pin and push in and slide it up or down a bit and the pin opens or closes. Very easy to use if you want to pin baste! Got mine at the LQS. Wi it you can use either straight or curved pins.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

i have tried them all. and now i use 505 basting spray, and I love it.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:49 AM

I use straight safety pins; curved safety pins; old diaper pins; whatever. Or thread baste. Honestly don't find any one of them better than the other. You could also use a spoon to function like the kwik clip but I don't bother with either. Don't get poked too often.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
I looked up kwik-klip on google, and if I understand it right, you use regular safety pins with it?
Curved pins are easier, even with the kwik-klip. However if you're happy with thread basting why not stick with that, especially since you're hand quilting? There's really no "best" option - it's whatever works for you.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Monale;6823532]. I'm just not sure if I dare to try that.../QUOTE]

Why be scared of school glue? About any pre schooler can probably tell you what it tastes like.

Just squeeze glue on your batting in a very thin line, smooth out any big blobs. Lay the quilt backing on top right side up and smooth. Let dry. Put more glue on the back of the batting, smooth quilt top on top and smooth. Let dry. You are done. School glue won't hurt your quit, it washes out. I have had several quilts that I glued basted and decided to take apart. I tossed the whole sandwich in the washer on delicate and started over.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:52 AM

I much prefered the curved pins. But since I gave in to temptation and picked up a can of spray baste, I can't go back....
Old 07-30-2014, 08:17 AM

I have lots of safety pins that were purchased at a quilt shop and labeled for quilt basting and they are not curved but I've had them for a long time. When I used them I used them with the kwik klip and that is a wonder tool so if you do do pin basting I recommend you invest in this tool. It is not very expensive.

I don't use pins any more because I glue baste and that is so much easier. I've never had trouble with my needle getting sticky. The glue is dry and when it is dry isn't sticky so not sure why that is happening. I love glue basting and it doesn't ruin your quilt. I've used it many times. You don't need much glue and I think some people probably use too much. You also don't need to spread it all over the quilt as some suggest. Think about it for a minute. When you pin or thread baste the entire area isn't covered in pins or thread so why would you need to spread the glue around? I use a thin stream of glue in a zig zag motion on the batting then smooth the back over that. I do it in sections letting it dry before moving it. I flip it over and repeat for the top. To give an idea of how much I use, for a full size quilt I have some left over in the bottle when I'm done and I don't water it down. When the bottle gets too empty to squeeze easily I get a new bottle started and then when I have a chance drain the left over glue from the first bottle into another one with room to accept it. I use a funnel much like you use in getting the last bit of ketchup out of a bottle by tipping it upside down and leaving it to drain.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 AM

Are you hand quilting? My understanding is that pins are recommended for machine quilting because they hold the layers more securely, but traditional thread basting should be sufficient for hand quilting. However, I recently learned a new way of thread basting that I just love, and it holds the quilt securely enough for machine quilting as well. It is completely stress free, not requiring bending, or kneeling, or reaching, or squeezing pins. I really can't say enough about it. I now look forward to basting a quilt! The only caveat is, you need a table that's as wide as your quilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ

Last edited by joe'smom; 07-30-2014 at 09:48 AM.