Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting your quilt sandwich >

Basting your quilt sandwich

Basting your quilt sandwich

Old 01-13-2022, 06:02 AM

I love the Kwik Klip tool for safety pinning. It is also good for pushing out corners when constructing pouches and such. Once you spray baste, you never go back!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:19 AM

I have started using the home made spray baste. I still use commercial spray baste if I need to mark the quilting lines before basting.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:24 PM

For ease on my aging muscles and joints I have gone to Glue Basting. It is so easy to do and I can accomplish a lot in a little bit of time. Elmer's Washable School Glue, is what I use. I use the Clear and it does the best basting. It hold great!. There are a number of great You Tube videos available to help you master this technique in just minutes.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:26 PM

I am still using spray baste as my preferred option. It takes a bit to get used to the spray distance, but is great stuff. I typically use puffier poly batts than the warm and natural type and I haven't tried glue yet because I've had spray on hand and understand the glue doesn't work as well on my type of batts.

I will still use a few safety pins until I get the top partially quilted, particularly on the corners so they don't flap over and a couple to keep the center from shifting -- maybe 10-12 over the entire top and not the every hand distance of pin basting.

My biggest issue is space. For years my largest layout space has been the queen sized bed, which makes it rather challenging to layout a queen sized project -- especially when it has 4 posters and a foot board... Last year I found a free folding ping pong table and have to keep it folded and tarped outside. Nice thing is, I don't really have to worry about the finish or any warp or whatever. By regulation, the tables are 3 yards/108" long and 5 feet wide and the height is good for me to work at!
Old 01-13-2022, 03:08 PM

I follow the Sharon Schamber method; there is an excellent video. She uses tatting thread and a herringbone stitch and it works great. You need a table as big as your quilt, though.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:57 PM

I know a couple of people who use water soluble thread to baste with. When you're done, the thread washes out.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If you're going to pin baste, the Kwik Klip will save your fingers.

yes best ever tool. 👍👍
Old 01-13-2022, 05:24 PM

yep, love my kwik klip. also can use a grapefruit spoon.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:41 AM

The Sharon Schamber method allows you to baste on a table, comfortably. The table does not need to be as big as your quilt....only the table width matters and you can slide your boards over if you do not have a table wide enough. All the table has to do is give you a work surface and some stability.

She has her method up on Youtube, part one and part two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA&t=4s

I liked her method a lot but when spray baste came out I started using that and like it a lot, especially convenient for smaller pieces.

Now I have a longarm and baste on the longarm...note you can send out quilts to a longarmer just to be basted!

Last edited by WesternWilson; 01-14-2022 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:43 AM

I elmer's school glue baste all my quilts too. Drizzle on lightly, place layer on top, smooth into place with my hands, then set the glue with an iron. Best method ever since nothing slips while you are quilting it!