Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting for Bonnie's Mysteries? >

Batting for Bonnie's Mysteries?

Batting for Bonnie's Mysteries?

Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I just used Fairfield Poly for the first (and last) time. So I can give a "what not to use" recommendation. I found it to be stiff and unyielding. The Dream Company has a little packet with all their different battings explained with a small sample piece. You may want to get one of those.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Amy, I was in Perrysburg last week! Went to a quilt shop, can't remember the name then went to find another one--could not find it, called and they said they were moving to Bowling Green.
Perrysberg is such a beautiful town!

Oh, about your question- sorry I don't have an answer!
Oh haha - that's ok. There is a good shop in Maumee (amtts I allowed to say the name?) - and a REALLY good one in Bettsville (about 35minutes from Bowling Green)... did you find the Bowling Green shop? It's on the main drag - small but good selection.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I don't have any advice on batting, as I just use poly batting until I can happily afford something better, but I want to say: Wow! Three En Provence MQ!! I'm still on my first You must have the pattern down like the palm of your hand! Can you share a picture with us?
Well I started wanting to use "Barcelona" colors for my brother who travels there frequently for work but I really really really like purple and I promised a purple quilt to a friend w/fleece backing. It was hard to judge how many pieces to make for each clue since I did not want the purple to be the full pattern but when it was time for the reveal I was only a few pieces short of having a 2nd purple so I figured if I didn't use them right away they'd just get tucked in a box.
Woah - sorry the photos are so bit - and the purples look different but they are really the same - more like the 2nd photo.
First 1 is the fleece back - I altered the pattern as many have done to use HST yellow/purple instead of the solid yellow square. The 2nd is the true pattern and 3rd is part of the Barcelona color way... still sewing.

Thanks for the advice - I will think on it a bit more.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]579085[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]579086[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails x-purple-1-finish-3-.jpg   z-bonus-finish-7-.jpg   top-section-1.jpg  

Last edited by AmyBible; 08-17-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 08-17-2017, 05:26 PM

I've only ever used Quilter's Dream cotton, Warm and Natural, or Hobbs 80/20. I don't care for poly battings, and am so allergic to wool that even though it's between layers of cotton, there's no way I would be able to use it. I have a small piece done in silk but haven't tried it on a bed quilt. A friend swears by bamboo, which I would also like to try sometime.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
My new favorite batting is wool. It's a bit pricier than cotton, but it is fluffier, accentuating the quilting, yet lightweight. It's a natural fiber so is not hot or cold, and drapes beautifully, IMHO. Had my last 4 quilts quilted with it.

Linda in Missouri
Ditto--but don't put into the dryer to dry as it felts it!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Ditto--but don't put into the dryer to dry as it felts it!
The quilt that's on my bed has QD wool, I've washed and dried it several times and it hasn't felted at all.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:49 AM

What is felting? New term for me..
Old 08-18-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
What is felting? New term for me..
Felted wool is kind of matted. It's done a lot in fashion to make things like sweaters and coats. You can google it to see how it's done.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:56 PM

I just finished my first quilt using Quilters Dream wool and machine washed and dried the quilt, following the instructions for the batting. It came out just as soft and nice as when I put it in the washer. I loved the way it quilted, too. I will surely use it again. I'm a big fan of all QD batting that I have tried. Usually use their all cotton, different weights. They have a good variety of battings.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:59 AM

I am a hand quilter. I originally used Warm & Natural for everything and then switched to Quilter's Dream wool (on the advice of this Board). The wool is so easy to quilt through....like going through butter! I LOVE IT and it is easier on my hands.
The quilt still feels fluffy (which is what I like--not the feel of several sheets of paper--UGH!) It actually feels like a quilt should (in my opinion). The thin battings feel like it was made in China--not my choice at all.