Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting for Bonnie's Mysteries?

Batting for Bonnie's Mysteries?

Hi - for those of you who have completed Bonnie Hunter's mega-pieced Mystery quilts... which batting do you prefer? I made Allietare and wanted something light and soft so was advised to try Quilter's Dream "Dream Puff" batting. Didn't like it - it was very stiff and did not drape nicely - it was also a bit thicker then I had hoped (bought it at an out of town quilt shop who didn't let me open the package to feel it - my bad - never again).

I made 2 not full size versions of En Provence - one of them the recipient wanted fleece on the back so I used Joann's Soft N Craft #2 which was nice and light weight so I also used it for my second En Provence too.

I am almost finished with the top of my 3rd En Provence and since it is full size (full pattern) I still want something that won't make the quilt heavy, I'm using flannel on the back, but want something... well... a bit nicer than Soft N Crafty. Something thin and lightweight - I keep thinking cotton would be better than polyester but feel like cotton will add too much weight to an already heavy quilt.

I've used Pellon's White Nature's Touch cotton before - it's thin.... would that be a good choice?

Thanks in advance for your advice - it is appreciated.

Amy, I was in Perrysburg last week! Went to a quilt shop, can't remember the name then went to find another one--could not find it, called and they said they were moving to Bowling Green.
    Perrysberg is such a beautiful town!

Oh, about your question- sorry I don't have an answer!

My new favorite batting is wool. It's a bit pricier than cotton, but it is fluffier, accentuating the quilting, yet lightweight. It's a natural fiber so is not hot or cold, and drapes beautifully, IMHO. Had my last 4 quilts quilted with it.

Linda in Missouri

The Hobbs Tuscany silk batting is very lightweight, and the Hobbs wool/cotton blend is lovely. The wool imparts a nice loft, and it is very cushy.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised and disappointed that you didn't care for the Quilter's Dream, although I will admit I've never used Dream Puff, which is poly. I've used their cotton batting, and their wool is absolutely luscious. I switched to QD a couple of years ago and never looked back.

I have no personal experience with it but you might like the QD 100%. A friend of mine uses it in all of her quilts. They have a lovely drape I don't find it to be nearly as heavy and the W&N that I use. But I like heavy quilts/blankets - but not the warmth which is why I use cotton. Natural fibers (cotton; wool; silk) will all breathe.

I have used Pellon Natural Touch 80/20 blend and it was very soft. The latest packages have been thinner than the originals were so it may be fine for you.

I don't have any advice on batting, as I just use poly batting until I can happily afford something better, but I want to say: Wow! Three En Provence MQ!! I'm still on my first You must have the pattern down like the palm of your hand! Can you share a picture with us?
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I'm with joe'smom ..... Tuscany Silk batting is luscious.

Blog Entries
    Hobbs or Dream Wool. Lightweight, wonderful to work with, beautiful drape. I love wool battings for my special quilts
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just used Fairfield Poly for the first (and last) time. So I can give a "what not to use" recommendation. I found it to be stiff and unyielding. The Dream Company has a little packet with all their different battings explained with a small sample piece. You may want to get one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Amy, I was in Perrysburg last week! Went to a quilt shop, can't remember the name then went to find another one--could not find it, called and they said they were moving to Bowling Green.
    Perrysberg is such a beautiful town!

Oh, about your question- sorry I don't have an answer!
    Oh haha - that's ok. There is a good shop in Maumee (amtts I allowed to say the name?) - and a REALLY good one in Bettsville (about 35minutes from Bowling Green)... did you find the Bowling Green shop? It's on the main drag - small but good selection.

Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    I don't have any advice on batting, as I just use poly batting until I can happily afford something better, but I want to say: Wow! Three En Provence MQ!! I'm still on my first You must have the pattern down like the palm of your hand! Can you share a picture with us?
    Well I started wanting to use "Barcelona" colors for my brother who travels there frequently for work but I really really really like purple and I promised a purple quilt to a friend w/fleece backing. It was hard to judge how many pieces to make for each clue since I did not want the purple to be the full pattern but when it was time for the reveal I was only a few pieces short of having a 2nd purple so I figured if I didn't use them right away they'd just get tucked in a box.
    Woah - sorry the photos are so bit - and the purples look different but they are really the same - more like the 2nd photo.
    First 1 is the fleece back - I altered the pattern as many have done to use HST yellow/purple instead of the solid yellow square. The 2nd is the true pattern and 3rd is part of the Barcelona color way... still sewing.

Thanks for the advice - I will think on it a bit more.
    Name:  x Purple 1 Finish (3).jpg
Views: 601
Size:  777.4 KBName:  Z Bonus Finish (7).jpg
Views: 597
Size:  598.9 KBName:  Top Section 1.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  527.2 KB
    Last edited by AmyBible; 08-17-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Forgot something

I've only ever used Quilter's Dream cotton, Warm and Natural, or Hobbs 80/20. I don't care for poly battings, and am so allergic to wool that even though it's between layers of cotton, there's no way I would be able to use it. I have a small piece done in silk but haven't tried it on a bed quilt. A friend swears by bamboo, which I would also like to try sometime.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
    My new favorite batting is wool. It's a bit pricier than cotton, but it is fluffier, accentuating the quilting, yet lightweight. It's a natural fiber so is not hot or cold, and drapes beautifully, IMHO. Had my last 4 quilts quilted with it.

Linda in Missouri
    Ditto--but don't put into the dryer to dry as it felts it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    Ditto--but don't put into the dryer to dry as it felts it!
    The quilt that's on my bed has QD wool, I've washed and dried it several times and it hasn't felted at all.

What is felting? New term for me..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
    What is felting? New term for me..
    Felted wool is kind of matted. It's done a lot in fashion to make things like sweaters and coats. You can google it to see how it's done.

I just finished my first quilt using Quilters Dream wool and machine washed and dried the quilt, following the instructions for the batting. It came out just as soft and nice as when I put it in the washer. I loved the way it quilted, too. I will surely use it again. I'm a big fan of all QD batting that I have tried. Usually use their all cotton, different weights. They have a good variety of battings.

I am a hand quilter. I originally used Warm & Natural for everything and then switched to Quilter's Dream wool (on the advice of this Board). The wool is so easy to quilt through....like going through butter! I LOVE IT and it is easier on my hands.
    The quilt still feels fluffy (which is what I like--not the feel of several sheets of paper--UGH!) It actually feels like a quilt should (in my opinion). The thin battings feel like it was made in China--not my choice at all.