Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Which batting has the highest loft?

Which batting has the highest loft?

I don't want to use polyester because it beards, but am looking for a high loft batting. Do any of you know of a particular batting that gives high, fluffy loft? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    All I know is the batting that says High Loft and I think it is poly. The only batting I had beard was cheap poly. The good poly doesn't. You could use several layers of cotton batting to get the loft you want.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
    I don't want to use polyester because it beards, but am looking for a high loft batting. Do any of you know of a particular batting that gives high, fluffy loft? Thanks!
    I've never seen any batting except poly that gives a high, fluffy loft. You'll get a teeny bit of loft from Hobbs Heirloom but that's the only cotton I've ever seen that has much of any loft.

Blog Entries
    Wool has a higher loft than cotton, but it's pricey. I've heard of folks using a layer of cotton topped with a wool batt.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quilters Dream cotton batting has 4 different lofts, though I use only the Select.
    Go to http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/ and see if you can get a small sample card of their cotton battings.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    high-loft batting is polyester- good quality ones do not beard, pill, clump or bunch- some are made for tied quilts/comforters. as long as they are quilted according to recommedations.
    wool battings are nice & fluffy/lofty but not as lofty as high-loft poly,
    double cotton batts make a very heavy quilt- and the cotton (settles) and becomes very dense-not lofty.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I made a chair cushion using six layers of cotton batting. It's kind lofty. Not dense yet.
    Got fabric?

Ok, since a couple of you say the top quality polyester quilt batting doesn't beard I think I'll give it a try. I'll be sure to go with a good brand like Quilter's Dream Poly. Thanks for the help everyone!

Ok, since a couple of you say the top quality polyester quilt batting doesn't beard I think I'll give it a try. I'll be sure to go with a good brand like Quilter's Dream Poly. Thanks for the help everyone!
    I really like all of Quilter's Dream Polys. I've never had a problem with it bearding and is not heavy. I also like their Dream Green (because of the recyling) but it is heavier than the Poly.

high loft batting

quilters dream puff is a very good batting it is poly. I have NEVER had a poly beard. I have used very high loft wool 2 inches thick. it was ridiculously warm. I tied that quilt. there is also a black poly out there it is excellent as well. I like thick quilts so generally do not use cotton battings.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    All I know is the batting that says High Loft and I think it is poly. The only batting I had beard was cheap poly. The good poly doesn't. You could use several layers of cotton batting to get the loft you want.
    I never use a high loft because I like an antique look but have used regular Fairfield (I think it was) High Loft for tied comforters. The only batting I've ever had beard was wool, but I love it so much I just put up with the bearding. After a couple of washes, it isn't too bad.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I've currently got 2 queen size quilt sandwiched and ready to FMQ using Quilters Dream Puff batting. http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-puff.htm It is very HIGH loft, and yet still light weight. Also good quality and I don't expect to run into any bearding issues from what I have read. I can't wait to get started on these!
    Wendy

Can someone please tell me what it means when the batting "beards"?

I would recommend putting a layer of Quilters Dream Select and then placing their Dream Wool on top of that. You will have a puffier look than just the wool but the quilt will still breathe. For myself, I find poly to be very hot because it doesn't breathe. I have laundered quilts in the washer on gentle with regular spin cycle made with Quilters Dream wool and not had any bearding. Bearding means fine little threads of the batting fiber work through the fabric of the quilt.
    Last edited by Silver Needle; 05-18-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Jim
    we use poly every day in our quilts and customer quilts ...have never had any bearding problems...hope it was just a one time thing for you or it was just that particular brand
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol: