Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Need help . >

Batting Need help .

Batting Need help .

Old 05-01-2015, 09:22 AM

If he wants it for warmth use wool batting and it will not be a heavy quilt
Old 05-01-2015, 09:35 AM

Perhaps using a foundation piecing techique would add the weight he wants. I too like heavy quilts...not as heavy as they make for old people to calm them.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:21 PM

Thank you for all the info. I will ask to see if wool would be his choice. I hope he is just looking for the warmth, I have never used the wool, In so.ca we don't need it. ha ha DottieBug
Old 05-02-2015, 03:59 AM

I once had a LAQ do a quilt for a raffle for me....told her I wanted it thick and lofty. Guess there was a miscommunication because I meant fluffy. When I picked it up, she had used TWO layers of high loft batting and it was so damned heavy it was hard to lift because of this heaviness, they only sold about $300 worth of tickets.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:39 AM

Quilter's Dream has a light green batting. It is SOFT and very warm. If you're going for weight...you could get a couple of wool blankets at a store that sells military stuff. Just shrink those before using as batting.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:51 AM

I keep hearing that polyester batting is very warm. I use Dream Green. I love it.

I have done a lot of online research about battings. One problem with cotton batting is shrinkage. Some women pre-wash so there won't be shrinkage later in the quilt's life when it needs laundering.

Wool batting sounds wonderful, but the pounding in the dryer really really shrinks it. If it will probably never need laundering it sounds like it would be nice, but I have never used it. I don't think it should be pre-shrunk because it will end up felted in the dryer.

Dream Green poly batting is soft, durable and warm. It will never shrink. It doesn't attract critters like wool might.

When I researched batting, I found that every quilter had her favorite, and was firm in their commitment. I guess I am getting that way now with the Dream Green. I have absolutely no affiliation with the company, nor do I profit from recommending it so highly.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:58 AM

I frequently suggest using a wool Army blanket from the military surplus store. They are warm and not too heavy.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:58 AM

The Quilters Dream Puff batting is supposed to be warmer than down. It's not terribly heavy. I recently made a queen size quilt with it that turned out very warm. If I wanted super warm I would back it with flannel or fleece and use this batting. I don't think it would be too heavy that way.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Cindy Needham suggest using a cotton batting with a split wool batting on top. So you would have another half layer of wool for another "gourmet batting" as she calls it.