Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting question? >

Batting question?

Batting question?

Old 01-05-2016, 04:07 PM

Default Batting question?

I know batting has been discussed many times on this board but I have a question. I love Hobbs, and Warm and Natural, but I have never used Quilter's Dream Batting? It's such a good price right now and being a cheapskate, I am wondering what you think of it? Can you hand quilt with it? Does it handle like the others? Any information you might share would be most helpful.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:40 PM

I tried QD after being a W&N user for years, and never looked back. It is wonderful, lovely batting, very drape-able and my longarmer says it quilts up beautifully. I don't know personally about hand-quilting, but I have heard from others that it's very nice to hand quilt with, also.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:08 PM

I really like the QD green ( made from recycled plastic bottles). It machine quilts beautifully and I would think be easy to hand quilt
Old 01-05-2016, 05:08 PM

It's all I use. I like that they have 4 different thicknesses, no scrim and can quilt up to 8 inches apart. I've hand quilted using the Request (the thinnest) with no problem. I was able to get tiny, consistent stitches.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 PM

I've been looking into it for my first hand quilted baby quilt and tried out a small sample, but ultimately decided on the Hobb's Organic Cotton. Indycat32 is right that there are multiple thicknesses of QD. The thinnest one (request) is often recommended for hand quilting, but it really gives almost no definition at all to your quilting which just really seems a shame to me to put all that work into something & not to be able to see the quilting really well. The 2nd thinnest (select) is what I would use if I were using QD because it provides some definition, but is still thin enough for hand quilting. The select & supreme weights are really too thick to hand quilt unless maybe if you are doing the big stitch quilting.

The nice thing about QD batts is that they don't have a scrim like W&N does. That means you have to quilt no farther apart than every 8" instead of the 10" for W&N, but I've never been successful with quilts holding up with such sparse quilting regardless of the instructions on the batting package so that hasn't made a difference to me.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Peckish got it all right, Quilters Dream is great batting. They have several lofts in the all cotton, and several other kinds of batting as well. Try their wool, too, if you are buying on sale, and try it with handquilting. Dreamy!

Jan in VA
Old 01-06-2016, 04:40 AM

I'm a W&N user and hand quilter. My friend and quilting mentor uses QD all the time. She, as well, is a hand quilter. It does have a lovely drape and 'hand'. When I finish the roll of W&N, I'll be using QD myself.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 AM

My favorite batting!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:30 AM

I would like to try QD. Is it Hobb's QD and where can this batting be purchased? I have used W &N alot but I don't like the density it has. Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I buy it online here: https://www.battingsupersale.com/default.asp?