Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Question >

Batting Question

Batting Question

Old 12-17-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Batting Question

I made an oversized quilt for my king bed. I wanted a pillow tuck and coming down the sides of the bed. It is completely done but dang, I can hardly lift it. It's so heavy. I used cotton batting. Is there other batting I should have used so it's not so heavy. Washing and drying was a bear too. I don't sleep under the quilt because of the weight, just blankets.

Thanks for your help
Old 12-17-2019, 05:44 PM

That's a good question, I made a king size too like that and it's just too much to handle. Looks great on the bed but, never again. If I was tempted to do it again, I would use Thermore. It's super thin. I have only seen it in Queen size so it would definitely require two packages.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

I made a King last summer and the longarmer used 80/20. It's not heavy.I just took it to the laundromat to wash as it's too big for my washer. It was manageable. I can't remember the exact dimensions but it's really big. I have in the past used batting that made quilts heavy that weren't even that large. So I know how you feel.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:38 PM

That's what I was thinking of suggesting, too. Just finished using a roll of 100% cotton. It is thicker and lintier, too.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:36 PM

both poly and wool are much more lightweight than either all cotton or 80/20. I personally don't like using poly for any quilt that is going to be over a person--it just doesn't breathe. So I'd probably either go with a washable wool in this situation--not cheap but boy, does it quilt nicely!
Old 12-17-2019, 10:43 PM

This is a good question. I have used many different battings and can't say at this point what my preference is.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

As quiltingshorttimer said, Poly or wool. But I disagree on the poly doesn't breath. I have two bed quilts I use regularly that have poly. One was hand quilted and the other machine quilted. The hand quilted one I can actually feel the breeze of my ceiling fan through if it is the only covering on me. The machine quilted one is also not too hot. So these two are my primary summer quilts. But I do layer them up in the winter with a quilt batted with 80/20 and on those really cold nights the down comforter gets use as well. I find I overheat more when sleeping under the quilt done with 80/20 batting. This is just my experience.
Other advantages to poly, it dries quickly, doesn't hold wrinkles, is much less expensive than wool and can be used when someone has wool allergies. It also softens up and gets better drape with use.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:51 AM

I also use poly, its light weight, warm and quilts nicely. I have one on my bed right now I hand quilted, but I put another quilt on top for these very cold nights So a king size quilt I would use poly to make it more manageable
Old 12-18-2019, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Hobbs nd Dream Wool are both very lightweight and wonderful to work with along with having beautiful drape
Old 12-18-2019, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Oh i'm getting to where I like heavy bedding. I would think a thin poly would be lighter though. laundrymat washers are the thing to use if you can with such a large, heavy load.