Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A batting question >

A batting question

A batting question

Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 AM

I also use Warm & natural for everything!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by tammystitches
Hmm.. looks like I may change to thin poly for wall hangings and table runners as the "fold memory" concerns me a bit.. I guess I will press the wallhanging before I hang it..
I just saw the entire Hoffman challenge at a quilt show. Those quilts travel in trunks. Most of them hang nice and flat. There were a few though that you could tell where they had been folded.

I read somewhere that most national quilt instructors use the cheap poly batting for their traveling quilts because it's lightweight and doesn't retain fold lines.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 AM

I used to use Warm n Natural but now I'm using thin poly for wall hangings. I don't want to iron a finished quilt and mash the quilting so those fold lines are my enemy!

I roll up the small quilts and table runners. When not in use they get rolled around pool noodles and pinned on. I saw this on Judy Martin's site a few years back. I have 4 pool noodles standing against the wall behind my clothes in the hall closet and I bet there are 10 table runners and 8 wall quilts pinned and rolled on those noodles. They take up no room!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 PM

what is a pool noodle? Where can they be found?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
I used to use Warm n Natural but now I'm using thin poly for wall hangings. I don't want to iron a finished quilt and mash the quilting so those fold lines are my enemy!

I roll up the small quilts and table runners. When not in use they get rolled around pool noodles and pinned on. I saw this on Judy Martin's site a few years back. I have 4 pool noodles standing against the wall behind my clothes in the hall closet and I bet there are 10 table runners and 8 wall quilts pinned and rolled on those noodles. They take up no room!
What a brilliant idea!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 PM

Agree with the Warm and Natural idea. Earthwalker i like the idea of the noodles but I have to tell you that we had several noodles and they started to get flaky (powdery) after a while. Of course, these were not protected and were actually used in the pool with chemicals and left in the sun too. Don't know if they will do that if you are protecting them indoors.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:23 PM

what are pool noodles? I had to look on the internet and found: http://www.poolcenter.com/pooltoys_n...water_logs.htm
Old 10-14-2010, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by tammystitches
what is a pool noodle? Where can they be found?
It's a long thin piece of foam. Picture a giant piece of elbow macaroni about 6 feet long and 4 inches thick.

There are yellow ones standing in the back of my closet with little quilts wrapped around them, but they come in all different bright colors. I wrapped the noodle in muslin, and then just put my small quilts over that. One noodle holds a lot of quilts.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 AM

Yeah, my pool noodles flaked and aged also. Instead, I hang up table runners on a pants hanger - one that holds 5 pairs of pants with a roundish rod. If the part the pants lay on isn't round or large enough, I'll put a paper towel roll(s) on the hanger and drape it with a small piece of muslin (just in case!). Then I simply lay the table runners right over that - no wrinkles or fold lines.

For wall quilts, I do fold them as little as possible, and then lay over curtain hangers I got from the dry cleaners (they have a large round portion to lay curtains on without wrinkles). I simply steam them and the wrinkles fall out - no problemo :) If I ever have to iron, I do so on 2-3 layers of towels, top facing down, to prevent smashing the front applique.

I don't care for Warm & Natural in my quilts - too flat and hard for my taste. But, I always put it in wall quilts and table runners for that exact reason. I also do put a layer of wool batting on top of the W&N for wall quilts. It adds a wonderful layer of stitch definition. These quilts display really well and look awesome. I never make one without the wool, now that I've seen the difference. I think poly would probably also show the stitch definition well. (I have wool, so I use it.)

Just my thoughts...
Debbie in Austin