Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting in rag quilt >

Batting in rag quilt

Batting in rag quilt

Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CGail View Post
I do not use batting. The two flannel squares make a good weight baby blanket.
This is what I do, the quilt is warm and cozy. It's a matter of personal choice, use batting or not.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Here is my 2 cents:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]420493[/ATTACH]
Flannel Quilt Recipe
I use three layers of flannel (I use diaper flannel as the middle layer). Cut the squares all the same size (i use 8 inches). Make the three layer quilt sandwiches and sew an X through. Arrange in a pleasing fashion and sew together using at least a 1/2 inch seam. Then use snips (invest in a pair if you are going to make more than one rag quilt) to fringe the seams (I snip 4 to 5 snips per inch). Toss in washer and dryer. Beautiful! Then gift to baby of your choice!
Attached Thumbnails img_9271.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-19-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 06-22-2013, 09:24 AM

This one has two layers as the baby will be born in So Cal in August. I stitched little hearts in the center to hold them together. I have made others with three layers of flannel and they worked just as well, just a little heavier. I don't like using batting, it doesn't have the right feel to it imho.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 10:34 AM

I made four rag uilts for grandkids bunk beds, I cut low loft batting 1 inch smaller, sew X thru middle, 1/2 inch seams, Pretty much the same as everyone else has said. but the tip I have is snipping the seam allowances is the most boring job in the whole world so snip as you go. I did any seam allowance that would not be sewn again. Good luck and have fun
Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 AM

I use coton on one side, warm and natural batting and flannel on the other...its freezing here in the winter so the warmer the better. I also do the X in the middle of each square. Oh and I make the batting one inch smaller than the other two squares.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:35 PM

These 8 1/2 " Fiskars looks like my next purchase.. the pruning Fiskars do the job on my rag purses and baby quilts, as long as it's not too thick, but these look perfect...thanks mengler...

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-2-Inch...s+rag+quilting
Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 AM

Yes, that is what I was thinking. The batting in the seam would keep it from shifting. That's what I was confused about. All of the directions I found seemed like the batting was cut smaller and not included in the seam. I went ahead and finished sewing the quilt and I'm at the point of clipping the seams. It looks nice but I bought fabric for new quilt. This one will have flannel for the middle layer so I won't have to worry about the batting in the seam or not.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Trisher View Post
Here is my 2 cents:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]420493[/ATTACH]
Flannel Quilt Recipe
I use three layers of flannel (I use diaper flannel as the middle layer). Cut the squares all the same size (i use 8 inches). Make the three layer quilt sandwiches and sew an X through. Arrange in a pleasing fashion and sew together using at least a 1/2 inch seam. Then use snips (invest in a pair if you are going to make more than one rag quilt) to fringe the seams (I snip 4 to 5 snips per inch). Toss in washer and dryer. Beautiful! Then gift to baby of your choice!
Wow, what a beautiful quilt!! I love the colors and the pattern.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-19-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 AM

Years ago when rag quilts first were popular, the instructions were to use a soft, cotton, open weave fabric that I now cannot remember the name of! I think it started with an "a"?? It was off white and you could buy yardage. It frayed nicely, did not add a lot of weight.

Can anyone remember what it was called?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
Years ago when rag quilts first were popular, the instructions were to use a soft, cotton, open weave fabric that I now cannot remember the name of! I think it started with an "a"?? It was off white and you could buy yardage. It frayed nicely, did not add a lot of weight.

Can anyone remember what it was called?
Are you thinking of homespun fabric?