Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting by the Roll Width >

Batting by the Roll Width

Batting by the Roll Width

Old 01-16-2021, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Is 96" width a good size for batting by the roll?

I've finally run out of the batting I bought at Joann's way back when we could still go over the border and didn't measure it before I used the last bit awhile ago.

There is a good price on a 96" roll here in Canada with free shipping but I want to be sure it's what I need.

Thanks!
Watson
yes that is the size I purchase. I do very few king size so I just purchase individual packages for king size projects.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:05 AM

For me it's a great size, I make throw or twin size quilts. I use the 96 for the length. I can then just cut enough for the width of the quilt off of the roll. I have a little left over at the bottom.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:12 AM

For me it depends on what size quilt I normally make. Most of mine are around 105 so I buy the 120" x 30yd Quilter's Dream. The scraps I tape together to make another batting the size I need for the next quilt. Or I use the pieces for placemats, embroidered quilt blocks, etc. Not much finds its way into the trash bin at my house.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:14 AM

where is everyone getting their batting rolls. I keep looking but most sure charge a lot for shipping.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:20 AM

I too like 96" wide batting. Wal Mart has been my go to and can buy 80/20 pellon 96" x 9 yards on a bolt. The bolts are a bit easier for me to store and I like to have 2 full ones on hand and one in use. I have paid as little as $35 and just purchased another bolt with free shipping for around $40. It is so much fun to have batting on hand and I never thought that would be a "thing" for me but it is!
Old 01-16-2021, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I've never bought batting by the roll but I just did a major cleanup of my sewing room and couldn't believe all the battings I had! I got rid of some that require quilting 1-2 inches apart. I must have had them a very long time.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:14 AM

I usually buy the 120" roll, because most of the quilts I make are lap size, and I can get two out of each width.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:19 AM

I believe 96 is pretty good. The only thing I foresee is if you are LA'ing a quilt you need to be sure to leave enough on the sides for the machine. Great faor Queen size quilt.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
where is everyone getting their batting rolls. I keep looking but most sure charge a lot for shipping.
I got mine at Kingsmen Quilting Supply. I believe the shipping was included in the price.

I just looked...Quilter's Dream is drop-shipped and shipping is included in the price. They also sell Hobbs, but shipping is not included for that brand.

Last edited by SherylM; 01-16-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Walmart, the shipping is usually free or if that has changed, the order can be picked up in the store. I also have used J's free shipping online coupon. Now that they have Warm products back, I will go by price.