Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting scraps, keep or throw out? >

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Old 12-31-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shirlrh
Wow Dennie, I would love to have some of those patterns!
Really? I make my own patterns for several things and they've been very popular for "boutique" sales. One of my favorites is my machine needle case. I use many types of machine needles according to my project. Sometimes I might use a #70 for just a short time and then switch to a Jeans needle or a Microtex (for example). I know they both have lots of life left so I place them in my needleholder which is a small (5x10-ish) rectangular "quilt" (light color always on the inside). I do a heavy decorative stitch around the outside edge and then "pink" it. No need to bind this. Then I "quilt" with a decorative stitch to divide the strip into squares which are then marked with all the different sizes using a Pygma pen. I place the slightly used needle in the appropriate square and do not open a new needle package until necessary. If you'd like to have more details (photo?), you could privately mail me your address and I can do the same.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I put the small scraps in a bag I have sewn (using fabric I don't need for anything else - or something I don't like anymore) and when it is full I sew up the end and give it to the Humane Society for them to use as animal beds.
What size bag would they like filled? i.e. size of animal beds.?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Qbird
Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I put the small scraps in a bag I have sewn (using fabric I don't need for anything else - or something I don't like anymore) and when it is full I sew up the end and give it to the Humane Society for them to use as animal beds.
What size bag would they like filled? i.e. size of animal beds.?
In our guild we either use old pillow cases, or construct new ones not quite as big. Small puppies and old dogs (and kitties) just love them. Due to trial and error, I suggest stitching wide columns first and then stuffing the "tubes". Without any stitching at all, the filling (we use fabric scraps as well) just shifts too much and becomes one big lump. Of course, you could tie them, but that's a little too laborious.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 PM

If you use a SwifferSweeper you can cut the leftover batting to size to use on the sweeper.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:16 PM

Keep and use for small projects, they make great needle book pages or piece them together and use for practicing FMQ.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 PM

I save the batting and even them out and sew them together in strips and use for smaller projects. I just use the zig zag stich to sew them together. Saves alot of wasted batting.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:26 PM

I save all scraps - zigzag together to make baked potato bags, and any other small project I come across. I make most of my quilts out of embroidered squares. I spend alot of time to embroider them and it does pass a lot of time away.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

Either roll them or fold them....But, definetly keep them....Get a plastic storage container.....
Old 12-31-2010, 05:34 PM

This is an excellent idea, the one of making a pillow for the humane society!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:36 PM

I am such a pack rat but apparently one of a minority of two here on the board that throw away batting scraps. I am hanging my head in shame.