Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 AM

I've used Warm & Natural or Warm & White, Hobbs. I like them. I've wanted to try wool, but haven't yet. I have also used clearance blankets from stores and fleece. Those are HOT quilts!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 AM

Wool....don't put it in the washing machine to pre-shrink or you will have lots of nothing. Some use the bathtube, but I just put it in the quilt and let it shrink. Then you get the crinkly quilt.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

dream wool does not shrink as much as warm & natural- a great batt!

read the packages and find the batt that will (go with) your quilt-

the quilting you do is dictated by your batting- some batts have to be quilted every 2"- some allow you up to 10" between quilting lines-
some batts are good for tied quilts- some are not
some batts are great for hand quilting-some are better suited to machine quilting=
some shrink alot- some don't shrink at all
some are very flat- some are quite (lofty)
some are cotton- some are polyester- some are both=
some are wool- some are silk- some are bamboo- some are made out or recycled bottles---it is a wide world!

try them all-
read the packages and try out the one you think will work for the quilt you are making- try it out= then next time try something different-
there are tons of FABULOUS battings on the market== no point in deciding one is the only one to use.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:30 PM

I like Warm and Natural and Hobbs 80/20. The Hobbs used to be carried at Jo'Anns but have not seen it there for a few years.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks for all your information!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 AM

Cotton batting makes it soft and warm, and polyester adds strength. I like to use the 80/20 cotton/polyester blend. It breaths, and yet is a little stronger than pure cotton. Plus I like to have it attached to a scrim. That's a lightweight backing that adds stability and strength to a quilt. You don't notice it's there. It's just good for the longevity and stability of the quilt. I've only gotten those at Nancy's Notions and it's on line. For smaller stuff, like a lap quilt, I tend to go for polyester, because it washes well and easily, and lap quilts tend to get dirty faster. You have to use decent fabric (nothing thin) with polyester or you'll end up with "bearding", where the fibers of the batting start sticking through the thin fabric. But don't worry about that for the 80/20 mix. So far I've not found it to be a problem. For the little stuff, like table runners, place mats, wall hangings, etc., I use the thinner, low loft cotton. There's a lot of variety out there. As one of the other members said, you've got to look around and see what's best for what you're making! If you want a really, really warm quilt, doubled flannel is great. If you're looking for a "summer quilt" that is very light weight, you can either sew your top right onto your backing. I've used quilts like that, and they're just fine. It's the way our Grandmothers used to do it because they didn't have batting. Ever wonder why they used to pile 7 or 10 quilts on a bed? Because they had no batting, or very little! Or use something very light weight in the middle of a Summer weight quilt, like muslin, so something similar. Look at all the choices you have!

Warmest Regards,
Old 09-11-2011, 04:51 AM

Quilters Dream delux if its a winter quilt.
Quilters Dream select if its a summer or wall hanging.
I know its a bit pricy but for all the work you do on the top, whats inside counts.
I've never tried wool, afraid of shrinkage but i hear nothing hand quilts better.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 AM

I like Tuskany Wool. It is sooo soft and quilts beautifully
Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by quitlinnonie2010
What is the best type of batting to use in a quilt. I want it to be warm but feel good too?
Everyone around here seems to use warm and natural. One longarmer says it works better than other batting and doesn't roll up like others. It costs a bit more but well worth it.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:41 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. Lots of info!