Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM

I have a longarm and I like Warm & Natural cotton or wool for most, but I like the higher loft of Quilter's Dream Poly when I am looking for more definition of my quilting or to do trapunto with. I love the drape and hand of Quilter's Dream Bamboo/Silk blend, but it is expensive. I have found that when I use wool batting, I like to pre-shrink it because I pre-wash all my fabric and the wool actually shrinks a bit more then the cotton batting. I actually prefer any of the Quilter's Dream battings to any other brand, but that is just personal preference.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

I also love the batts from the dream company...dream wool is my favorite- but the dream poly is very nice to work with- and great for kids quilts/travel/utility quilts
dream orient is a dream...dream bamboo/silk -another dream!
for cotton batting i prefer hobbs 80/20 heirloom over warm & natural- but use alot of w&n too.
different quilts need different batts- so i pick and choose for each specific project what batt is best for that project- there are wool batts that do not shrink- any more than one of the cotton ones- and wool is wonderful to work with. just read the packages- and find the batt that meets your needs-
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM

As a longarm quilter, I prefer the look of low loft batting and offer my customers Hobbs 80/20. I also have used the Dream Wool for a higher loft. I will use any type batting that my customer would like and have not had any problems. About 1/2 of my customers bring me their preferred batting.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
I also love the batts from the dream company...dream wool is my favorite- but the dream poly is very nice to work with- and great for kids quilts/travel/utility quilts
dream orient is a dream...dream bamboo/silk -another dream!
for cotton batting i prefer hobbs 80/20 heirloom over warm & natural- but use alot of w&n too.
different quilts need different batts- so i pick and choose for each specific project what batt is best for that project- there are wool batts that do not shrink- any more than one of the cotton ones- and wool is wonderful to work with. just read the packages- and find the batt that meets your needs-
I also love Hobbs Heirloom that was developed with Harriet Hargrave. I preferred the roll over the prepackage that always seems to be so squashed. Hobbs has just a tiny bit more poof then W&N (flat as a pancake). I did a lot of machine quilting before I became disable and I used Hobbs exclusively unless a client provided W&N (which was no problem). I would suggest going with the advice from your machine quilter. GOOD LUCK !!
:lol: