Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting >

batting

batting

Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

batts that are recommended/ good for tied quilts say so on the packaging! you should always read the packaging carefully to see what the quilting recommendations are- some batts require being quilted every 2" (very dense quilting) if you use one of those for a tied quilt it will not hold up if washed-
you really need to find one that says- good choice for tied quilts. the quilting recommendations on a batting package are important information- you can always do more than the recommendation- but the results if you do less are seldom good.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Well doesn't that make you mad enough to chew nails and spit rust, as my granny used to say. I have never heard of a batt doing that. I would call the company or email and see if they will send you out a new batt and reimburse your cost of the first one.

I would not expect them to replace it or give any other compensation, they is why one should always read. I do a large stipple or meander and know it will work out. I use to buy Mountain Mist batting years ago, haven't seen it for years. I only tie comforters, never quilts.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM

So sorry this happened to you....Hope through the frustration your quilt turns out!! I use Warm and natural for everything....you can layer it to get a higher loft but you can quilt it up to 10" a part. Maybe for tied it would work for you!! Happy Quilting!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM

well today I went down and bought new poly batting a lot better brand finished up the quilt and it came out beautiful that is one mistake that will never be repeted in my house ever again the one I did buy was soft and crafty can't say enough good things about this brand thanks to all for their help feel much better now
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM

Although I have never used it, when we got our APQS long arm & took training it was recommended not to use this particular brand because it didn't hold together as well for loading over the rollers & the density wasn't as consistent.