Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting for table runners? >

Batting for table runners?

Batting for table runners?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM

I just now realized there are nine pages of responses. It looks like reposting your question really worked! I am having some problems using the new format but I am not real computer savvy and at my age change is not a welcome thing. I will keep trying. I posted a picture the other day but haven't been able to since then. Anyway, good luck with your table runners.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 AM

I am so glad you asked this question.....(and I'm just seeing it today!)......I want to make table runners as well, just didn't have the chance to yet....but I thought you HAD to use batting. Then just this Sunday my Mom made one, with no batting at all, just folded over and stitched. So your question helped both of us!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM

Some people choose not to put in batting because glassware tends to be unstable on it. I don't own any stemware at all, so not an issue for me (coffee, teacups, mugs - all go on tablerunners just fine without tipping). Since I don't know how the table runner would be used, I would use Warm and Natural or that Thermo stuff for batting. That way, if they set a hot casserole on it thinking it works just like a hot pad, their table doesn't suffer. I know some people have used felted wool as a batting, but wool continues to shrink every time it is washed and dried and can result in funky shifting within the project.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM

I like to put a thin batting in my table runners. They need something to make them look smart and to do some quilting on.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:36 PM

I used a cotton batting in the table runners I made last Christmas and they worked out really nice.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 PM

I use warm and natural, as you need something for protection of your table from hot dishes. The runner doesn't seem too thick.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 AM

I havent used flannel, but have used W&N, it works well. You can also use canvas. I buy it at Hancocks, it sews ok, use a heavier needle if needed, it washes well and it supports really well.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
I have had this posted now since Saturday and not one response! I've had 60 views but no responses! On the old format, I would have gotten a lot of answers! Have the helpful people left the board? This never even made it to the top of the "What's New", I guess because it didn't have any responses. The first place I found it was on page 2 of the "What's New"... Strange how this is working... I am posting again...
Ditto Ditto Ditto on the board thing - it doesn't seem to be displaying as it used to.
I used a fusible poly for table mats and it was very odd and stiff after I ironed it but it softened right up. It's nice and thin but doesn't give you the shrinkage of cotton, just enough puff to show off the quilting.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I like to use warm & natural in my runners and other small projects. I think it gives my projects a nicer finish~
Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 PM

I have used flannels and polar fleece instead of batting for table runners. And in my most recent runner, an Asian inspired one for my sister's dining room, I'm not using any batting at all.