Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Batting for table runners?

I didn't see your question before this morning either...glad you asked it since my next project is going to be a Christmas Table Topper. I certainly don't want it poufy so I will buy cotton batting.

I was at a craft show on Saturday and only 1 person had quilted items; another person had sewn items...placemats etc. with no batting...I didn't care for the fabrics that she used...or the pattern. The quilt lady had a few full sized quilts, table runners, wallhangings and candle rugs. The candle rugs were not quilted they were large circles of felt with either felt gingerbread men or snowmen appliqued around the edge...kind of like a mini tree skirt. They were cute but I couldn't justify the price...$15.50 for one when she was selling a quilted wallhanging (18" X 36") for $7.50.

Blog Entries
    batting in your table runners is a personal choice- some people use batting---very thin---some prefer them to be flat- and simply use a layer of muslin- or a lightweight stablizer. i've made them both ways- and the one i made my mom with warm & natural---was not a good choice- when she washes it- it fluffs up- and is too thick for her liking- vases tend to tip over- a flatter thinner batting would be a much better choice....i suppose it depends on what table you are planning to use it on too. and the amount of seams in it- a batt will smooth the runner when there are alot of seams-
    i have alot of lightweight single sided white flannel- i prewashed that and found it works nicely - gives some body- without (puffiness) but it is a personal choice- and the project itself should be part of the decision
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use Warm & Natural in the ones I made. Thin enough to protect the surface of the table, but not poofy enough to make lighter weight articles placed on it unstable.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Blog Entries
    I use my scraps from odd sized quilts that I have made - mostly warma nd natural -. I din't think no answers has anything to with the subject - but with the new format of the board - I spend more time looking for the areas I used to frequent - then just reading.

I don't use poly batting as I sometimes will use my table runner/placemats as trivets and I fear the poly melting and ruining my work.

I have also seen a pattern recently that had no batting at all. In fact I think there is a tut here - possibly called ten minute runner.

I use warm and natural. I save all my scraps from my quilts for this purpose.

I always use batting in my table runners...I like the Dream Cotton request for them...it is light weight, but enough to show any quilting and to be sturdy enough. I don't like a batting too thick for them, but never have made one without batting.

When I make tablerunners I use either flannel, that I prewash, or thin cotton batting. I like the really thin stuff for them.

Blog Entries
    I used warm n natural! It is thin, but looks nice, and has a little more stability than one without anything in it!
    Live,Laugh,Love....make each day the very best it could be and don't forget to tell those you care for that you love them!
    MJ

I'm glad you posted again. I think a lot of members were still in shock on the 5th!
    Hopefully things will get back to "normal" soon!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

I've made them with thin cotton batting inside and quilted the runner and also made them with nothing inbetween. For me it was a different look depending on what was getting set on it. It's your runner you can make it however you choose and it will look just great

I've used either Warm and Natural or fusible felt.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaM49 View Post
    I was at a craft show on Saturday and only 1 person had quilted items; another person had sewn items...placemats etc. with no batting...I didn't care for the fabrics that she used...or the pattern. The quilt lady had a few full sized quilts, table runners, wallhangings and candle rugs. The candle rugs were not quilted they were large circles of felt with either felt gingerbread men or snowmen appliqued around the edge...kind of like a mini tree skirt. They were cute but I couldn't justify the price...$15.50 for one when she was selling a quilted wallhanging (18" X 36") for $7.50.
    I didn't see many quilted/sewn items either. Runners were going for $20-$25 and pillowcases were $8 each...or should I say "not going for"... nothing seemed to be selling, I think the economy is really slowing down the sales and the quality at the craft shows.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    I do not think all of the "helpful people" have left this board. I think there is a learning curve that effects the end results any time there is a change or something new going on within a system.
    Well, BETTY62, I think you are correct! I've gotten a lot of helpful suggestions since I re-posted. Thanks to all!

I use Warm & Natural/White for everything I do. It gives a nice flat finish yet shows the quilting and is easy to hand quilt. Plus I like having the extra layer to absorb any moisture when I glass is put on it.
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
    I didn't see many quilted/sewn items either. Runners were going for $20-$25 and pillowcases were $8 each...or should I say "not going for"... nothing seemed to be selling, I think the economy is really slowing down the sales and the quality at the craft shows.
    wow, those were really good prices if the fabric was nice. I put more money into them than that! It takes a yard of fabric for a pillowcase so at $10 a yard they were losing money..must have used much cheaper fabric!!!
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Blog Entries
    I have always used W&N, but after reading on this board about using flannel, I tried it with a piece of an old flannel sheet I had. It worked great. Cheaper than using batting too!

I use thin batting or sometimes flannel that has been washed several times. In my table runners, placemats, and mug rugs don't want thickness. Worried about glasses tipping. BUT if you are making them....use what you want for batting. That's what's nice about quilting...some rules CAN be broken or bent.

Lots of us jus like to read posts but dont resond...no idea why. I've posted pic and have had 6,000+ views but only 100 replies.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Since this is going to be for my daughter and I really want her to USE IT, I think I will put some insulbrite and batting in it so she can put hot stuff on it. Does that stuff work really well for hot dishes? I would hate to ruin her new table...lol Something tells me I wouldn't make too many points with that...LOL

If I make a reversible one, like I want to, would I need to put Insulbrite on both sides? Not sure how that stuff works.

Thanks again everybody for your posts.
    Last edited by SUZAG; 11-07-2011 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
    wow, those were really good prices if the fabric was nice. I put more money into them than that! It takes a yard of fabric for a pillowcase so at $10 a yard they were losing money..must have used much cheaper fabric!!!
    The fabric was name brand stuff that I've seen at the LQS...seemed like nice quality

I have just started trying to figure out this new QB - I had really become comfortable with the other one and bang - it is changed. I usually put warm and natural or Quilters Dream in my table runners. It is just enough for me (not so much to make it thick and things fall over but makes it nice and smooth on the table.
    Too much to quilt, not near enough time....

I prefer warm and natural as I can then put a hot dish on the runner without fear of scorching the table.

I have successfully used fleece as a backing for a table runner. It is soft, not too thick and is easily washed when someone drops something on it. It also means that you can stand a vase or similar on it without the vase being off balance. I have
    kids about!

I always use batting in table runners It gives body to them

Blog Entries
    I have made seven star spin toppers. Because there are so many seams, I don't use batting. I QID these and they look. Beautiful so it depends ontherunner or topper.

I too like warm and natural for table runners. I like them with a little batting. They just don't feel right to me without any batting. JMHO

Quilting is my therapy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast