Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Batting for table runners?

Add me to the list of just finding your post today. GREAT QUESTION but I find as with most opinions that there seems to be two sides of the fence and not definitive right or wrong. I personally always put a light batting in my table toppers, runners.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

I just put a thin batting in as, if you would want to put a candle on it, it would not be to thick. I think most people want just the "look" with out the thickness. That's my opinion any way.
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

I use Quilters Dream Poly Request.

Just was looking for help and found this post. Just joined today. I am doing a table runner for a friend and she does not want quilting on it. If that is the case, can I forget any batting? I don't want the pieces to shift and wonder if a 16" x 90" runner will have issues with a batting inside the top and bottom. Thanks for any ideas.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I've seen that at crafts fairs too. I like putting batting in my table runners, but I guess some people don't. I use warm and natural.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Blog Entries
    I used a thicker flannel backing, no batting, loved the result. This time I don't have cream flannel so I ironed on some pellon, but it seems too stiff. I probley will remove it and go get thicker flannel again.

For table runners and small items I use very thin batting Quilters Dream Poly Request Batting I buy throw size 60 x 60 sold at the Fabric Depot.com in Portland Oregon I buy it online. It works very nice and is soft and thin I do use it for handquilting but the package says also useful in machine quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
    Thank you all for the reply's, I feel much better...LOL I guess there isn't any quilting police rules on the batting, whatever tickles your fancy...I guess when I see something quilted, I expect a little batting but I can also see the problem with the poly poofyness also. Probably the cotton batting would be the way to go. Thanks again!
    The first table runner I made I was thinking it was to protect the table from things that might mark it, whether heat or wet or ... I used too puffy a polyester, and it never laid completely flat. So now I decide what I'm going to use it for, then either put in warm 'n natural, with our without thermo-whatever-it-is, or flannel, just to smooth it out.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6