Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bearding! >

Bearding!

Bearding!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I cut some batting on my olfa board and I got bearding on the board. LOL! I crack myself up sometimes.

I am sorry this happened to you after all of them money and time that must have gone in to the quilt. I wish I had a magic answer for you.
You made me smile--that's worth something.
I am taking care of most of it. Trying everything suggested here.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
I had my daughter's quilt long armed a short while ago and she used a light colored batting for a black and purple quilt. It now has pill dots all over it. Each time I wash it it gets worse. I never knew there was black batting. Any suggestions? I have been using a lint brush, but it's not working.
Just read back is all I can suggest. It is lessening in places. Toothbrush and shaving is helping. LOL
Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 PM

You can try the dollar store for a sweater shaver, also JoAnne's have them in the notion aisle. Sorry you're having this problem. Good luck at the fair!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Black Sharpie for bearding

Originally Posted by franie View Post
I have been quilting for about 15 yrs or so but just learned what bearding meant. Unfortunately, it happened on a quilt I just quilted and planned to enter in the fair. It has a lot of black in the quilt and I did not use black batting--does that clue you? I have white spots in some areas at the stitching lines. Someone suggested a battery operated sweater pill remover like shaver. I don't have one of those but I did remember a fine tooth comb for pill removing. Found it and it is working somewhat. More to go. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to remove bearding? I thought bearding was when batting sagged and drooped when the quilting was not close enough and hung. I am busy now shaving...
Black sharpie works great!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:12 PM

I've never had the batting pull through, but I have had some long-fibered polyester backing pull through. Luckily, I noticed the problem and stopped quilting. I removed the backing and used a Shannon Cuddle minky. No problems. I never thought about the batting being an issue. Interesting.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:18 PM

I had bearding on one piece years ago. I had used Mountain Mist poly batting. It was a fairly loose density and bearded all over. No permanent cure. Since then I check to make sure my batting’s are labeled non bearding.

Good luck tho hopefully the methods you are trying will solve your problems at least long enough for the show.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 PM

Sorry this has happened to you. I had this happen too. I tried everything, and then gave up and just lived with it (but it was not a show quilt). Now I just (and only use) quilters dream request 100% cotton batting and it has never happened again.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 PM

if it's more white dots showing at the stitching holes,try a mist of water to close the holes and then dot with a super fine tip sharpie in the same color.