Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Beba longarm cutting mat

Beba longarm cutting mat

Can anyone advise me as to why you would need a 10 or 12' cutting mat for use with a longarm machine. I have never heard of these before!
    Sheena

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Me neither! waiting for replies!

I can't imagine it being a true "need" as opposed to a somewhat extravegant convenience but maybe it is for LA quilters who buy batting on the roll. They could measure out the amount they need and rather than cutting with scissors (which is what I do) they can lay it out on the table behind the machine and cut with a ruler and rotary cutter. They may also do that with wide backing to ensure a nice straight cut.

Can also be used for squaring up quilts.

All these things can be done with conventional tools. This product just may make it more convenient. I for one would rather spend the $150+ on fabric, thread or batting.

I agree with feline fanatic - a "nice to have" item. Actually, many of our quilting tools fit into that category, and what is a silly luxury to some may be a necessity to others.

Blog Entries
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, her turntables! I have 2 sizes and they are very sturdy. Her actual cutting mats, not so much (they are the white kind). Saw the LA mats at the last show I went to, but fail to see their use, at least on my table. The cutting surface would be too low for me to cut comfortably.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Not something I would buy just thought it was a strange thing as I can cut wadding with normal cutting board
    Sheena

I am thinking its just handy for cutting long pieces. I know I have to wrestle lengthwise borders. Not sure I would invest in a mat just for on the long arm tho. It would be a pain to cut king size batting on a regular sized mat...

Blog Entries
    I haven't seen the long mats but then again I wasn't looking for one. (got a link?)

When I trim off the excess after longarming the quilt, I do just fine with my largest cutting mat.

Nan - Indiana
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....