Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Becoming a prewasher >

Becoming a prewasher

Becoming a prewasher

Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 AM

I wash before it goes into my stash. If I had a stash like yours I'd just wash as I used it. If it is going to be boxed up and shiped I wouldn't worry about washing untill It arrived, after being stored who knows where, under who knows what conditions I might want to wash it again before using it. LOL
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Everything in my stash has been washed in hot water and dried in a hot drier. I add a little note to my quilts that says "Wash any temp, Dry any temp". I am hoping my gifts get used, I'm not going for heirlooms so if the fabric fades a bit with this treatment that is okay with me. :-)

All fabric purchased goes straight to the laundry room shelves. The lights get washed pretty quickly because I just wash those along with a load of whites that get washed/dried in hot. The other colors may sit on the shelves a while until I get enough for a load of a certain color.

Then I wash the finished quilt in warm water with color catchers just to be sure they won't bleed when the recipient washes them.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM

When I get ready to make a quilt. I wash all the material (always using 2 or 3 color catchers) lights together and then the darks in warm water. Dry them on medium for 10 minutes and hang them up forcing any wrinkles out that might occur. When still a tad damp, I iron them using spray starch and hang them on a old fashion wooden rack or the clothes line. Fold them up when all are done and put them in a project box with the threads, any additional tools that I need and the pattern. Then, I am ready to work. I usually do this about a week before I am ready to start cutting. Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM

A quick tip. When you wash yardage take a snip off one corner. Then when you pull out a piece of fabric, you will know for sure if you prewashed it.

This will also help if you do not get all your fabric washed before you have to pack it up.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I began prewashing fabric as a carry over from my clothing construction days. Disappointing to sew something that doesn't fit after it's been washed. And I still do, but I wash on a quick cycles--could save you some time. I don't feel washing for longer period of time is going to benefit and the heat in the dryer will take care of the shrinking.

QE what's your opinion?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt-T View Post
we will be moving to another base by the summer and if it's Stateside I will want it all washed by then because it will be stored in a crate and then shipped on a boat before we get it. It took 3 months for our stuff to get here.
I'd probably want to wash after it was shipped and in storage to freshen it up. Plus, you're going through your stash to wash, fold and put away. Then you'll have to go through it again to pack and again to unpack. Why not wash as you're unpacking. Just my two cents worth.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I'd probably want to wash after it was shipped and in storage to freshen it up. Plus, you're going through your stash to wash, fold and put away. Then you'll have to go through it again to pack and again to unpack. Why not wash as you're unpacking. Just my two cents worth.
This makes sense to me.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
I always washed everything I bought when I got it home. Somehow along the way I have stopped doing that, in favour of washing the colors I think might bleed. I normally cut a snip off the piece and put it in a glass of hot water and watch, then I decide if I need to wash.
Great idea!!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:34 PM

I always wash it as soon as it comes home. I want it to be ready when I have a brain farkle and want to make it right then!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 AM

I used to wash all the time and now just wash batiks and darker colors, especially reds. I find my cutting is more accurate when I don't.