Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Becoming a prewasher >

Becoming a prewasher

Becoming a prewasher

Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM

I am a pre-washer. I keep it damp after washing (like my Mom did when I was young, she sprinkled her pieces to be ironed and of course, everything back then was cotton) then just iron with hot iron. I spray starch if going to use it right away. Otherwise (for no bugs), just iron, and fold. I usually just keep it like I bought it until I decide what to use it for and have finished admiring and loving a new fabric I just bought. But it all gets washed before I use it sooner or later...
I've just had too many fabrics bleed if I didn't prewash. Just works for me...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM

My fabric gets washed and ironed before I add it to my stash. When I'm in the mood to start a new project I don't want to wait for my fabric to dry.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I prewash and dry, fold with my 6" x 24" ruler and put with the other stacks of fabrics. I usually only have the fold edges and can usually cut without ironing.
I prewash the large piece and cut later. I'm afraid washing after cutting strips would cause too much raveling.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 AM

I wash it as I need it. Iron as I need too.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM

I too wish I had started long ago---it is a bit overwhelming at this point and just tackle it by project. The point made about having it all done in your stash is a good one. I always have to 'wait' to start a project I am excited about because all the fabric needs prewashing.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM

I was when I walk it in the door and down to the laundry room. Want to be able to start on it's usage whenever I have the inclination to do so.

But and added note: The Wednesday before thanksgiving, I purchased a Royal Blue Quilt Back at Hancocks in Rapid.........(we were on our way to my parents for the holiday and weekend and I was using my moms' LA to finish it there) When I got to the ranch, I quickly put fabric in the washer with a "color catcher".....OMG-----The color catcher was a darker color then the fabric was......Needless to say - it was washed 4 more times. The 2nd time it was lighter, the 3rd a little darker then 2nd and the 4 and 5th time was about like the 2nd. So I will be adding specific washing instructions to the new owner at Christmas with a box of Color Catchers. The border next to the outer border is cream and then there is a few lights throughout the quilt. So Glad I Am a PRE WASHER!!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Love this idea - my serger just sits in the closet, now I will overlock before washing fabric!! This has to be the idea of the day!!
I only wash when I put together a project. I hand wash some of the smaller pieces.

Originally Posted by Somerset Val View Post
I have always prewashed my fabrics but I don't do it when I buy them - only when I am going to use them. I overlock the raw edges before washing, starching and ironing them. This way, I know which fabrics have been prewashed, and which haven't - and it prevents a real mess of tangled threads in the washing machine and on the fabric!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I have always washed as I bought fabric. I have never had a bleed or shrink problem. I really don't understand why after all the effort that goes into a quilt, you would want to chance either of these things happening to your work.

And it seems we never learn untill it is too late.
peace
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM

Default Color catchers

Be sure to use color catchers. I am amazed at how much color they catch. I will not wash fabric or jeans without them!

Originally Posted by Quilt-T View Post
In my quest to become a prewasher, I am spending my day going through my enormous stash, cutting 2.5" strips and then cutting my yardage into 3yd cuts and washing them. I can't even believe how much fabric I have!! I'm trying to get into the prewasher mode to keep from ruining the quilts I make. I wish that I had always done this because it is hard doing it now. I keep trying to wash like colors for piles that have 3yds or less. But that's tough with my rather eclectic stash and having to do repeated washings to clear out the dye! Long day ahead of me here.
Tanya