Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bed quilts for everyday use >

Bed quilts for everyday use

Bed quilts for everyday use

Old 09-06-2015, 02:03 PM

A lady in our quilt guild makes lovely quilt as you go quilts. The Gourmet Quilter does something very similar. This is the link to her video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8BLS2rNHA
Old 09-06-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I need to replace a couple of quilts we have been using on our beds for many years. They are wearing out. I want utility quilts that are warm. I have several quilts that I have hand quilted that I use for spreads, but don't want them to be utility quilts. I need something that is easy and fast.I don't want to hand quilt these quilts and I don't want to pay to have them machine quilted. I have a small stash and am thinking of making a couple of quilts mock/faux cathedral window with circles and a square of batting in each circle, quilt as you go. It looks deceptively simple, but I am wondering if it will be as fast or easy as it appears. I would appreciate input.
I made a mock/faux cathedral window quilt. I did not find it fast. Sewing the circles together and turning was the easy part. Sewing them together took more time and accuracy for it to turn out right. Not sure I would ever try it again.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:37 PM

I like tumbler quilts. When I use a template they go together pretty quick. I have used the small template for use with charm squares. I also have a larger template that lets me make different size tumblers. When they are finished I think they are very interesting quilt
Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by woody View Post
We use flannel rag quilts as drag around utility quilts. Very warm and cosy and quick to make.
This is the first thought that came to my mind, too.

Jan in VA
Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
How far apart are your ties, and are they in a pattern or random? Are there special instructions for washing to keep the batting from bunching? Would this stand up to the heavy wear that Genden indicates for her quilt replacements? It seems that more and more I am hearing about tied quilts.
We used to cover the wool batt with cheesecloth or some very light fabric. It was basted on with needle and thread. The top and back were sewn together, turned right side out and the batt slipped inside. Then that was tied, not too close together. When the top was dirty, it was taken apart, the outside washed (and repaired) and put back together and re-tied.
Wool batts do not need washing as often as you would think. As a natural fiber, they do not hang onto odors. Even with children who wet the bed, washing the outside was enough.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
We used to cover the wool batt with cheesecloth or some very light fabric. It was basted on with needle and thread. The top and back were sewn together, turned right side out and the batt slipped inside. Then that was tied, not too close together. When the top was dirty, it was taken apart, the outside washed (and repaired) and put back together and re-tied.
Wool batts do not need washing as often as you would think. As a natural fiber, they do not hang onto odors. Even with children who wet the bed, washing the outside was enough.
Sounds like when Grandma removed the feathers, washed the feather tick in the summer, then stuffed the feathers back inside along with some new ones. The only wool my family had were a few wool double blankets. I'd vote for Evelyn Sloppy's faux cathedral windows ragg quilt, and it does not require turning the circle right side out. As Woody and Jan have said, the ragg quilts are comfortable and stand up to the wear.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer View Post
A lady in our quilt guild makes lovely quilt as you go quilts. The Gourmet Quilter does something very similar. This is the link to her video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8BLS2rNHA
I love this ladies videos. I think she is Australian, anyway she taught me binding also in a very simplified way. I think I would sash w/a wider bottom strip though.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:11 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments. It has really helped me evaluate. I have decided that the mock cathedral windows quilt made with circles and a slit to turn it after sewing the circle wouldn't be such a time saver. It also is not a very efficient use of fabric. Perhaps a throw in this pattern would be better. For a bed quilt, I am thinking of a variation of nine patch. I am sure there are other patterns that would be fairly simple and then I will bite the bullet and have them machine quilted. Other suggestions for relatively quick but attractive quilt patterns for everyday use on the beds are welcomed.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:46 PM

Checkerboard is my favorite everyday use quilt. It's fast and easy, and can be stitch in the ditch or tie it.